Setting to disable auto format

Describe your feature request
Setting to disable auto format

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
I want to submit code changes in Pull Requests. The auto-formatter changes the code in such a way that it ius difficult to see the differences. Please create a setting to disable automatic code formatting.

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request

I just pulled some code from GitHub, made some changes, and wanted to push them. The diffs are pretty hard to read.

I can’t really use replit if it makes changes to my code that I can’t control.

2 Likes

Hey @gardner1, welcome to Ask.

Cool idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, your code should only be formatted when you press the format button or the keyboard shortcut (CTRL + S)

3 Likes

I think you misunderstood something. Replit has no auto-format. But if you want to format your code, you can press Ctrl+S to format it. You probably thought it was formatting your code automatically when you save, because you thought that Ctrl+S was for saving the file, but in Replit, files get saved automatically while you type. So there’s no need to press Ctrl+S and then Replit won’t format your code.

2 Likes

This often dosen’t happen to me and I often loose code

1 Like

Maybe an issue with your WiFi? It works fine for me.

This is stupid. CTRL + S to save is muscle memory even if you know it’s auto-saving. There should be a way to disable it.

2 Likes

Update, there is a way, it’s in user settings:

Not sure why no one mentioned it in this thread.

2 Likes

That menu is fairly new IIRC, and this thread is 9 months old.

4 Likes

Ah, guess I never explored. Well, hopefully people in the future can find the answer useful

3 Likes