Restore Replit to Previous State

I was trying to push my replit project to my github repo. I don’t think I did it correctly as now my Replit says “Working” indefinitely and nothing shows up in my repo. Luckily, before trying to connect it to GitHub, I did download my project as a zip file.

How can I restore my replit to its previous state before I started doing anything with this? Ideally there’s a way to do that without re-uploading the zip file, but if I can do it with the zip file that’s fine too (but at least right now I can’t as the upload doesn’t seem to work while it says “Working”.)

I guess I’d be okay with creating a new replit project, but I assume I’d lose my secrets? What else would I need to do to restore things?

Thanks,
B

As a follow up with more details. My project is a node.js/react project. As an attempt, I did try forking/duplicating my (now non working) project into a new project, uploading my zip file to that new project and unzipping it. When I then try to run this new project, however, it still doesn’t work, as it appears that the zip isn’t actually able to back things up fully. For example, there was a file in the zip file called replit_zip_error_log.txt, which includes a bunch of statements like the following:
{"error":".zip archives do not support non-regular files","level":"error","msg":"unable to write file .config/npm/node_global/bin/npm","time":"2023-05-20T21:09:23Z"}

It appears, then, that I really need to somehow restore my original replit. Any ideas are welcome.

I’m not entirely sure if this is related, but would version history underneath the file give any condolences? In my projects theres a button where i can scroll through version history.

2 Likes

Thanks @DefendyPug . The issue here, however, is that the files themselves are gone so there’s no version history to see. It’d be great if there was a ‘replit version history’, however…

Try creating files with the same names then

1 Like

@QwertyQwerty88 two problems with this unfortunately. 1) There’s something like 600 files. 2) More importantly, as I mentioned the project keeps saying ‘Working’ and the files never load so I can’t create new files in the first place :slight_smile:

Using that .zip backup you have is probably your best shot, if the file isn’t too long, could you paste the rest of replit_zip_error_log.txt?

1 Like
1 Like

Have You contacted a Replit team member to ask if it is even possible with Your account? Did any of Your co writers have backup or at least some checkpoints made?.

1 Like

The amount of duplicate content seems off as well to be having so many errors…

Did You had any security packages imported when You were writing code in original format?

I have reached out to Replit support directly but have yet to hear back.

I’m not an expert developer but I don’t believe so.

Does both the “Working” indefinitely and .zip projects have same version?

Hopefully the Team will contact You soon. I understand how frustrating it could be.

1 Like

No. Per my message above, I (luckily) downloaded the zip file right before I screwed up the push to github and deleted the files. It should be true that the files I downloaded and the files that were deleted are/were the same.

Can you send me those?

1 Like

Sure (and thanks) - how do I do that? I don’t want to make it fully public but happy to share a link to the zip.

Don’t share link just yet. It may contain virus. This is public container.

Check Your index files for versions.

There are many possible causes of a non-regular zip file. Some of the most common causes include:

• The file may be corrupt. This can happen if the file was not downloaded or extracted correctly, or if it was damaged in some way.
  • The file may be password-protected. If you do not know the password, you will not be able to open the file.
  • The file may be a different type of archive file. For example, it could be a RAR or 7-Zip file.
  • The file may be too large. Zip files have a maximum size limit of 4 GB. If your file is larger than this, it will not be able to be compressed into a zip file.

If you are unable to open a zip file, you can try the following steps:

• Check the file for corruption. You can use a file repair tool to do this.
  • Try to extract the file with a different zip program. There are many different zip programs available, so try using a different one if the one you are using is not working.
  • Contact the person who sent you the file. They may be able to send you a new, uncorrupted file.

If you have tried all of these steps and you are still unable to open the file, then the file may be lost. In this case, you may need to contact the person who created the file for help.

Sorry to be clear the zip file opens just fine; it just seems like replit couldn’t store some of the project files in it…

1 Like

There are many reasons why a zip file might be non-regular. Some of the most common causes include:

The zip file may be corrupted. This can happen if the file was not downloaded or extracted correctly, or if it was damaged in some way.
The zip file may contain a virus or other malware. This can happen if the file was downloaded from an unsafe source.
The zip file may be password-protected. This can happen if the file was created by someone who wanted to keep the contents private.
The zip file may be compressed using a different compression algorithm than your computer supports. This can happen if the file was created on a different computer or with a different zip program.
If you are unable to open a zip file, you can try the following steps to troubleshoot the problem:

Make sure that the zip file is not corrupted. You can do this by using a zip file repair tool.
Scan the zip file for viruses or malware. You can do this with a virus scanner.
Try to extract the zip file using a different zip program.
If the zip file is password-protected, try to enter the password.
If the zip file is compressed using a different compression algorithm than your computer supports, try to convert the file to a different format.
If you are still unable to open the zip file, you may need to contact the person who created the file for help.