Replit Terms of Service

Can someone please clarify who can access and under what circumstances code in a private replit?

I found this in terms of service unless a replit rep can correct me it looks like unfortunately this makes replit IDE not usable for commercial project teams.

Content you create in a public Repl or in Teams for Friends is automatically subject to an MIT license. Content in a private Repl and private Team is licensed to Replit on a platform basis under the Terms of Service.

Our Service allows you to store certain information, code, text, graphics, videos, or other material (“User Content”).

by posting User Content using the Service you grant us the non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, sublicensable and transferable right and license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such User Content on and through the Service. You agree that this license includes the right for us to make your User Content available to other users of the Service, who may also use your User Content subject to these Terms.

you may not distribute, modify, transmit, reuse, download, repost, copy, or use said User Content, whether in whole or in part, for commercial purposes or for personal gain, without express advance written permission from us.

2 Likes

I believe all code on Replit is open source (for some reason I’m thinking MIT license, but I’m not sure if I saw this somewhere or I’m making it up). Private Repls can only be seen by yourself and the Replit team if they need to, so while I believe the content within a private Repl is open source, others can’t really see it.

This is why i keep saying replit is for fun and learning but for serious development and deployment … well, like with google TOS it is a copyright risk.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m happy to offer some clarification here. Code that’s in a private Repl (which includes work produced for a bounty) is not automatically MIT licensed. You can apply any license that you wish to such a Repl. The best way to do that is just to include a license file along with your source code. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

2 Likes

Well, from the TOS it still means replit can use the code even when private.

2 Likes

That’s because all of the things that Replit does to enable you to host, edit, and run the code would technically require the permission of the copyright owner. So our ToS includes a license from the copyright owner to us that enables us to provide our service. Other online platforms that host user content have a similar provision, for the same reason.

3 Likes

Hex Technologies TOS specifically says all information created by the user is owned by the user and only by the user. Furthermore, I won’t need to ask them permission to use My content (code I’ve uploaded).

Finally, I do not understand why Replit needs : “for us to make your User Content available to other users of the Service” (In private repos) AND : “you may not use said User Content for commercial purposes without express advance written permission from us.” (for code I’ve created).

There is a point on that statement, besides if you think Replit tos is scary I do hope you do not use gmail or Dropbox.

1 Like

you are correct, I do not.