Replit feels silent

@JonQuinn I am saying I agree with this and it actually feels kinda sad - now we’re releasing projects all the time and with comments and the “Run” button gone, we have no way to connect and give feedback other than Replit Ask… if most Replit users are even aware of our Ask website’s existence.

1 Like

@DaxCodes1 It’s true.

1 Like

This is true, replit feels like abandoned village, nobody visits it, or does anything with it.

Why, replit? Removing comments is the worst thing. Its like cutting off someone’s speaking ability

8 Likes

To add on to this, there was no real purpose in removing comments either. Although some other changes were done to make more money, removing comments and the run button did not have any purpose, unless Replit was trying to get people away from its site.

9 Likes

Comments took up a lot of space, and made Replit look unprofessional.

2 Likes

Even GitHub has comments (issues and PRs, I think “talk” pages exist too), what do you mean?

7 Likes

Most of Replit’s comments were people chatting, rarely ever giving feedback, and there was lots of spam.

3 Likes

I would like to refute your statements because my personal opinion does not align with what you said.

They would only take up a kilobyte for a published repl, and zero bytes for all other repls
Also, compare to the repl the comments are attached to. How many bytes is a nixOS container?

Already answered

That isn’t a bad thing

1. Boosts engagement
  2. Where? in my experience I have never seen a comment repl or a chat comment (unless you count Pikabot interactions as chat)
  3. So, there are still people who give feedback.

This could be solved by either improving moderation or encouraging more users to report them. removing comments will drive them to start “spamming” (even though there wasn’t a lot of spam in the first place) in other places, such as blank repls.

I rest my case, and would like to not participate in this debate any further.

8 Likes

Okay that’s just because that’s what Replit claims. And to anyone, comment storage isn’t a problem, never was, and never will be (atleast for Replit)

5 Likes

What about the run button?

4 Likes

The main motivation behind removing the run button is (probably) that there were many, many people who ran repls (with and without an account) because there were useful programs on there, such as proxies, games, etc. (You can see how all those people came onto Ask when the update happened.) Running these repls costs money, and there were a lot of users.

Removing the Run button got rid of the non-account users, and also made it less convenient to just run any repl, both of which saved money for replit.

This had a lot of other effects such as completely destroying the community and pushing replit towards its focus of deployments instead of games and console-based programs.

5 Likes

Imagine what the world would be like without it though

Would Replit ever exist in the first place?

The thing about the Big C is that things operating on it usually start out good, sometimes even really good. The moment, though, that one realizes they can turn their operation into more $$ things go onto the decline if they act on it. Happiness of those who actively use the service, product or operation gets sacrificed for what the owners want and $$

It makes me wonder, though - how long before Replit gets so money-oriented that the only thing that makes sense is to leave? And, knowing the bulk of users don’t pay for Replit, (this is an assumption, I might be wrong) why is Replit trying to get us to pay if, technically, they can operate without it? I think they want more

5 Likes

Yeah because they’re leading, so why not make more?

2 Likes

I wrote “?” by accident (thanks, auto-correct). I revised my post

4 Likes

I thought Replit had an automatic system to detect proxies, cause it’s not allowed on their service.

They do, if you try importing something like tinf0il or ultraviolet from GitHub, it won’t let you. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Imo, it’s better this way

2 Likes

I agree, they obviously don’t want schools blocking their service because some users decided to make proxies or anything along those lines.

Honestly, I’m super glad that Replit isn’t blocked at my school (even if it keeps on connecting in the workspace for 10 years, then boots on for about 3 seconds)

2 Likes

Sadly, it is at mine. Replit even became a block ID

I don’t know precisely why though :person_shrugging:

:smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I guess my school district is more chillax. They don’t even block YouTube, let alone Replit.

1 Like

You’re fortunate, I guess

I use it on my home PC now, no longer the chromebook.

I do miss when I could use Replit during school during “study hall” period (or whatever it is called) and there were tons of Repliters working on things and Talk still existed

1 Like