Question about Teaching using Core

Ok, so I am one of the many professors of computer science left in the lurch by the discontinuation of teams for EDU. I have looked around for alternatives, and there are simply none that are viable for my courses. So that leaves me looking for ways to continue using replit in my classes.

I am a core member, and so I can create private replits. My students are not necessarily core members, and I don’t want them to do their coursework in the open on public repls. It is too late in the academic year for me to require that they sign up for core as materials have to be approved several months in advance. But I think I may have found a work around!

Here is what I am thinking about doing:

1. I will create a private repl for each student in my class.
  2. I will invite them to be a multiplayer collaborator.
  3. We will use just one repl for them to do their work. They will work in subdirectories, and I will grade their work by opening their repls.

Is there any “gotcha” in that? I know I may run out of disk space, but I can simply pay for more. Is there any issue with having 75 collaborators on 75 repls?

1 Like

It may be super slow and this is not a good idea because the max users per repl is capped. I recommend instructing your students to get a github students plan (its free) Students - GitHub Education. Reply if you need more help!

1 Like

Oh and I forgot to mention students with the github students plan get free private repls + other perks

1 Like

No other perks, just free private Repls.

3 Likes

I had thought about using github codespaces. I have an educators account there. That will actually work in most of my classes, but I have a few projects where we do things with graphics, and so that environment is a no-go.

Just to be clear, each student will have their own repl. So there would be at most 3 users per repl (me, the student, and my TA.)

How do the compute cycles stack up for lots of multiplayer repls?

1 Like

Nope! If you want to do it that way, you can but you will spend lots of money if you have large classes.

1 Like

Ah, I just realized what you’re saying here. So if my students are signed up with a github student account, they could simply fork my repls and then hand in zip archives on canvas. That would be nice and easy!

1 Like

Compute units dont exists unless you deploy it. Witch there is no need to unless you want to share it with others.

So then disk space is the only resource I have to look out for?

Yep! Just make sure you have enough

No. If you would alos need to watch out for Egress (outbound data) depending on what is being made. Also the built in PostgrSQL DB if thats used.

Also students only get 6 months of private repls

1 Like

Forgot about that

and also after your 6 months are up, if you are still in the program, you can renew it.

No you cant renew that benefit. Its a one time offer

1 Like

You cant? I was able to do that on my school acc.

That’s good to know, and pretty much pushes me back toward my original idea. I’m curious to find out how much it will cost, but I would be very surprised if my projects can chew up a lot of bandwidth.

1 Like

Yea. IIRC just graphics wont use Egress (except on package install) but I could very well be wrong. But if requests to APIs are being made that can use Egress.

I can confirm thats correct :+1:

They are doing straight up linux development. When I say “graphics” I am really talking about a little SDL window running in the X11 client.

Everything else I do is just done in the editor and shell.

1 Like

Yeah that should be fine. My egress doesn’t get used up when I use Fluxbox

1 Like

Thank you everyone! I feel better about my plan, which is good since classes start on Tuesday. :smiley:

Maybe I’ll do a little write up about using replit this way in early summer, once I see what happens. I am also eager to see how the students like having ghostwriter around.