Prevent repls from running themselves

Describe your feature request
Please make it so that the editor DOES NOT run code automatically. There are several instances (such as when I refresh the page) where the code will automatically run, without me clicking on “run”. Please make it so that code only runs when I explicitly click on “run”

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
This is a big problem when I’m running production code (eg. I have trading bots using real money) in replit. I only want my code to run in a deployment, not in the dev environment. When code runs automatically without me clicking on the run button it can place trades that I did not want. Please only let the code run when i click “run”

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
I have code that trades stocks with real money. I opened my laptop one day in the morning and the repl that I had open from the night before refreshed itself and placed a trade by itself, without me ever clicking on run! Really, code should only run when we tell it to run, it should never by itself start running.

1 Like

Code that runs by itself is a security risk or worse. Code should only run when we click on the run button or deploy it.

1 Like

@RobertGrzesik Why can’t you continue on the previous thread? Why make a new topic?

1 Like

Because the previous topic is a question. This topic is to get rid of said behavior.

3 Likes

This is a feature request, not a question.

Hoping to get the product managers at Replit to make this very simple (but very important!) change.

The small change is to default not running code rather than default to running it. Code should only be run when someone explicitly says to run it, otherwise it is a security risk or worse!

1 Like

You can disable the run command so that the code will never run on the dev environment and only in deployments.

2 Likes

That sounds great. How can I do that?

2 Likes

Check out the run command documentation and the deployments run command documentation.

1 Like

This is amazing. Thank you!

2 Likes