Posted bounty and would like to share Repl with outside collaborate but do not have adequate permissions

Bug description:

I do not have “share” permissions for a Repl that a developer is creating after I selected his application. I would like to share it with a collaborator who funded part of the bounty because we both want to use it.

(In general, I would like to “own” that Repl or at least be able to find it without having to re-navigate through the bounty screen each time I want to test it or revisit the code.)

Expected vs Current Behavior:

Expected: I can share the Replit I paid for with another person
Current: Only the developer who spun up the Repl has adequate permissions at the moment

Steps to reproduce:

1. try to share
  2. had to ask developer to share with the user

Bug appears at this link: https://replit.com/@--smallguy89--/GPT3-Summarizer

Screenshot(s)/Screen Recording:

ChatGPT summary of Descript video transcript of me showing the issue (I couldn’t post two links apparently so can’t include the original video): I suggest adding a “share” button for bounties, and making it easier to track the status of bounties and their associated repls. Currently, finding the relevant repl is difficult, and sharing a bounty with another user is not straightforward. Improving these features would enhance the user experience. Thank you.

Browser/OS/Device: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/16.3 Safari/605.1.15

Replit Profile: https://replit.com/@ChristianUlstru

2 Likes

So basically. Just fork it and copy over any necessary secrets

1 Like

OK — but if I want to do follow on work with the same developer, why fork it instead of just working on the same original Repl?

I don’t understand why I wouldn’t have admin-level permissions for a Repl for a bounty I’m sponsoring.

1 Like

Until it’s submitted, the Repl is not technically yours. The Repl is created separately from bounties so Replit has no way of knowing which Repl to allow you to access until the Repl is submitted, at which point you can view it and edit it and either accept the submission or request changes.

1 Like

I don’t understand why I wouldn’t have admin-level permissions for a Repl for a bounty I’m sponsoring.

The reasoning for bounty posters not having “admin-level permissions” or access to the repl is also to stop the poster scamming the hunter. If they had access, a lot of people would just take the code without paying the hunter. Of course, the cycles being in stasis would discourage this, but the poster could just say that they’re dissatisfied with the submission.

2 Likes

I understand that rationale but it creates unnecessary friction for trustworthy posters.

I don’t know exactly what the answer is but there’s got to be a better way to meet both needs… The first thing that comes to mind is something closer to a working capital/cash upfront arrangement with a satisfaction guarantee which is what I use for my consulting work. And may be a reputation system for posters or something.

Anyway, I love the bounty system and would like to be using it constantly but these little UX snags are creating a bit of a headache on the poster side.

2 Likes

Problem is they can’t just manually vet/tell who’s trustworthy but I would definitely find this annoying

1 Like

Maybe there’s a way to bootstrap it by incentivizing posters to link their accounts to something that more closely approximates their reputation?

I use my real name, LinkedIn, etc. and so of course all of my interactions with developers could somehow be traced back to my professional profile, etc…

Maybe there’s something like that available… Some incentive for people to attach the real identities on the poster side if in return, they get access to a more frictionless experience

2 Likes

See I thought that at first too, but you can always contact Replit support and they can’t cancel the bounty without contacting Replit anyway (at which point they will see, actually the bounty has been completed and act accordingly), so technically the system is actually pretty sound.