POLL: What is better? Python or C++

• C++
  • Python
  • Neither (both good / don’t know)

0 voters

The old classic Python vs C++, which one do you like better?

3 Likes

Definitely Python. Way easier to learn and understand

2 Likes

As a dev in both c++ and python I view both as very good, python is twice as slow and easier to learn/read. Use this for ML/flask web dev if you really want but would not really recommend, instead I would recommend learning JS XD. C++ is good for perhaps applications where speed is necessary to the point where one can sacrifice readability and easy of access, just my two cents :smiley:

4 Likes

Tbh I prefer speed over ease, I would really like to learn cpp
(my learning experience with python was bad, and I truly don’t like python)

2 Likes

Languages aren’t comparable simply because they are made to cater for different use cases. Python has very simple syntax that makes it easy to understand and use for computer science, whereas C++ can be much more advanced and complex. C++ is one of, if not, the fastest language when compiled. I personally dislike the Python syntax, hence I voted for C++.

4 Likes

Same here, that is what I meant when I mentioned about bad experience with python. But since they’re completely opposite languages, it’s what makes this poll interesting to me. But I doubt cpp has as huge fan base as python!!

3 Likes

come on python pretty nice :smiley: it’s the most user friendly I know of as well as the most friendly and just generally the best to help people with, but again, I am ok in c++ and I do see the point, I think that C as well as Assembly are slightly faster than c++ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

True, but I’d bet C++ is used much more everyday than Python is, pretty much all large, graphics intense apps use C++ (I’m thinking of AAA games, but there are many more apps that use it too), plus lots of software created by larger companies.

4 Likes

Nice true that c++ just has better libraries than c while being almost as fast :smiley:

4 Likes

From most of the forums/communities I have seen that most of the people who actually know cpp, tend to hate it. Guess python really tops as preferable language by many. But not by me.

I think python is hard to cope up with after learning js and vice versa.

3 Likes

Yeah, but C++ to Assembly is a very large jump, C++ is considered intermediate-level (I think it used to be considered high-level, but then it was also kind of considered low-level due to manual memory management), whereas Assembly is low-level. From what I understand, C is just C++ minus the OOP, because it came first. C++ really isn’t as hard to read as some would say.

3 Likes

yeah I would definitely recommend c++ :smiley: and true assembly is it’s own different nightmare

2 Likes

A lot of game engines use C++ as one of the building blocks.

2 Likes

My use-case covers bash for scripting, python for more advanced scripting/utilities, JS for web, Rust for web + performance + safety, so C++ doesn’t fit in. The only C++ features I know how to use properly are new and auto.

2 Likes

lol that’s awesome! I barely know two langs, :smiley:

Yeah sounds actually like a pro programmer

1 Like

actually they sound like a Pro0grammer, you mean :smiley:

2 Likes

@bigminiboss Programming isn’t about how many languages you know, its how good you are in the languages you know. Knowing 50 languages is not as good as knowing 5, and being able to create a high end game engine or Paypal like service with them.

5 Likes

I know I was doing a play on words, but yes I am more like that as I have focused most of my programming time into two languages (not quite five lol)

1 Like

Yeah… my focus is CSS and C++ (and soon Python), although I know HTML, CSS, C++, Shell, LOLCODE, and some other random stuff.

2 Likes