POLL: If you could relearn programming, what would you change?

• I would follow more tutorials.
  • I would get more help when I encountered errors
  • I would self teach
  • I wouldn’t learn programming :frowning:
  • I wouldn’t change a thing

0 voters

6 Likes

Still fairly new to programming here so wouldn’t change a thing

2 Likes

Wouldn’t change a thing. I learn mostly by myself, occasionally looking stuff up on w3schools and stackoverflow, and I think that is a good fit for me.

2 Likes
  1. I am surprised that not-ethan, the person who is always #1 on the Replit Ask leaderboard, chose “I wouldn’t learn programming”.
  2. I’m pretty new to Python but am learning really quickly because it’s an actual class (I wouldn’t change a thing on that), but for HTML/CSS/JS I would have used more tutorials. My friend tried to teach me but he wasn’t a good teacher, so I learned by taking what he made and modifying it (literally trial-and-error tweaking things). Fine for HTML because it’s so simple, and CSS vocab makes sense, but it was terrible for learning JS.
3 Likes

@not-ethan not learn it at all? Why?

3 Likes

That’s what I want to know. So successful and yet would rather not be here.

2 Likes

I did it as a joke I wasn’t being serious

3 Likes

I would learn a different language and persist more. If I could start from the start again, I’d go with C++ and learn it as in-depth as possible. It’s a challenging language, but also, I reckon learning it as your first sets you up better in the future to learn simpler, less efficient, languages. It’s harder to go from languages like JavaScript and Python to C++ than vice-versa.

6 Likes

Good point. Coincedentally C++ was the first language I’ve ever learned. Looks like I learned programming the right way :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

As a C++ programmer, I think the advantage lies in the fact that lower level languages give you a better understanding of why the program is doing something, since the higher the level language it is, the further removed it is from the bits that it really is.

5 Likes

I would take a lot more time to reconsider going to college for this. Idk, maybe something will change but at the moment, I haven’t learned anything in college that I already didn’t know, so I’m basically paying a ton of money for a piece of paper that says I can write code… but I can already write code…

2 Likes

Poor @not-ethan, he learned programming and didn’t want to.

2 Likes

Someone held him at gunpoint and forced him to learn. @not-ethan promptly killed them in their sleep, as is his way.

3 Likes

The flashbacks… Yeah I wouldnt learn programming :laughing: (actually serious)

I didn’t use documentation at all at first (still don’t use documentation much)

2 Likes

Programming: Hard Mode.

2 Likes

I literally just use text editor autocomplete for almost everything

Programming: Easy Mode.

1 Like

What is?​​​​​​​​​​​​

1 Like