Other ways to earn cycles

Yes. I have checked other posts.

There is no way I am going to be able to pay for cycles, and the type of coding projects I personally like to take on never really manage to get trending. I also do not intend to become a full stack developer to answer bounties. Is there any hope for me?

3 Likes

Create a Repl/theme (themes are obviously easier to make) put it in #general:showcase and hope for someone rich to tip you? Thatā€™s what I do :upside_down_face:

Also when Replit Showcase comes back put your creations there too

3 Likes

i feel like the best theme i can make is a meme theme, im nowhere near being artsy enough to create an elegant usable theme, but as i said my creations dont really appeal to anyone

1 Like

You donā€™t need to be a fullstack developer to do bounties, you just wonā€™t be able to do every bounty you see. I would not call myself a fullstack developer and Iā€™ve made a few hundred bucks from bounties, all of them have so far have just been Python bounties.

My suggestion would be to pick a language you are already pretty good at and really dig deep into that language, then shoot your shot on any bounties that use that language.

Replit is also working on adding a new feature that will let people list ā€œgigā€ type things that they are willing to do for cycles and people can hire them to do it. Iā€™m not sure when they are rolling it out, but Iā€™m hoping it will be in the next few weeks

2 Likes

@InvisibleOne is 100% right, I managed to land myself a 36,000 Cycle bounty that is completely front-end. Hereā€™s an ā€˜articleā€™ (or maybe a rantā€¦) I wrote about writing a good bounty application to increase the chances of your applications getting accepted.

3 Likes

wow nice, i canā€™t complete any bounties as I only have very basic js knowledge, good html/css knowledge, and best python knowledge

cuz all the easy python ones get taken by someone else before me and as i have never completed a bounty before no one accepts meā€¦

2 Likes

Wow I have like the exact same skillset @MiloCat.

2 Likes

Yeah I have high level python knowledge but I canā€™t find anything because EVERYTHING NEVER ALIGNS WITH MY SKILLS LIKE WHY ARE THEY ALL WEBDEV/CRYPTO/AI/ML???

4 Likes

Honestly, I would say the majority of bounties are looking for Python developers, and if you know Python for backend and HTML, CSS & JS (even only a little), youā€™re basically a full-stack dev, so youā€™ve got a good shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

YEA I SWEAR EVERYTHING IS ML/AI!!!

i wanna train davinci api on python thoā€¦

3 Likes

not really, sadlyā€¦well at least for me :skull:

Thereā€™s a new button on the home page to create a bounty, it brings up thisā€¦

screenshot

4 Likes

Iā€™ve known that since it came out a few weeks ago and itā€™s only increased the already prevalent amount of AI/webdev stuff and now Iā€™m stuck with nothing :confused:

3 Likes

I wish we could sort by language in the bounties section. Then I could just click ā€œPythonā€. The search feature isnā€™t too helpful at finding me stuff.

2 Likes

@MattDESTROYER @bigminiboss I may not be able to find good bounties, but everyone in my cs class (weā€™re learning python) doesnt care about it and doesnt know basic stuff, except me lol, and the teacher said we could use any online code, he just wants us to be able to understand itā€¦
well anyways now that the context is done, basically someone in my class offered me 20$ to write a simple tkinter program which I could make in ~1hrā€¦and with the rules the teacher set, its even allowed lol

so ig thatā€™s better than most bounties lmao

4 Likes

Wow, or a better idea (in my opinion), teach them programming so you can earn and they can learn (that rhymes lol) :smile:

3 Likes

Yea but the teacher said that u need to understand the code so ima have to teach the guy in my class everything xD

3 Likes

Ok, maybe I should be more clear
I donā€™t really want to do bounties
AI or other LLM projects etc. really arenā€™t what I like to do or what I decided to program for
I started programming because the idea of machines doing work was a very nice idea.
So I primarily and throughout the entire history of my coding career is doing simple OS or other low level systems.
Which is why my type of fun project does not get front-paged.
By my post I meant if there was some feature that could, through some kind of work would earn me cycles.

1 Like

Get a job. Like an IRL job. I literally canā€™t think of anything elseā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure most people here are not of legal age to have jobsā€¦

hold on are you implying child labor (this was a joke :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like