No Btn to Link Custom Domain

Problem description:
I am trying to link my domain to a nodejs app, and I have the web preview showing. In the address bar above the preview though, it shows “/“. It doesn’t show the actual url but there is a button to open it in a new tab which does work.

Expected behavior:
Button to link custom domain

Actual behavior:
No button, “/“ in address bar above preview

Steps to reproduce:
?

Bug appears at this link:
Prefer not to post Repl as it’s supposed to be private

Browser: Chrome OS, 118.0.5993.86
Device (Android, iOS, NA leave blank): iPhone 15 (base), Replit app & Browser on laptop
Desktop app version (Avatar menu->“Version”) or NA: No desktop app. Browser version
Plan (Free, Hacker, Pro Plan): Free

Welcome to Ask! You can no longer connect custom domains to regular repls since repl.co hosting is being deprecated. You’ll have to deploy your repl to connect a custom domain (static deployments will be completely free soon).
See these topics for more info:

All repls on the free tier are public to the entire internet, even people without Replit accounts. To make your repls private, upgrade to a paid plan.

3 Likes

I have noticed that now, thank you. But, one question. I started to look into the Static deployment option and it starts to deploy but I run into “public directory does not contain an index.html file”. Is there a way to get around this with the deployments because I’m running an express app?

Thanks,
Snox

You could either create an index.html file in the proper directory or possibly editing the hidden .replit file (click the 3 dots on the file pane then “Show hidden files”) could do the trick.

What would I edit in the replit file?

Currently shows:

entrypoint = "index.js"
modules = ["nodejs-18:v3-20230608-f4cd419"]
hidden = [".config", "package-lock.json"]

[nix]
channel = "stable-23_05"

[deployment]
deploymentTarget = "static"
ignorePorts = false
publicDir = "/"

Hi @SimplySn0x !
Are you using Express?

@NateDhaliwal, yes I am.

You’ll need to use Autoscale Deployments.
Static is for repls without a backend.

2 Likes

@NateDhaliwal: That makes sense. I’ll look into it eventually. Are the autoscaled ones free or will they be paid?

They’ll be “free with all paid plans”. So paid. There are also reserved VM deployments but those are pricy and not included with any plan. See https://replit.com/pricing for more information.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.