Nix cache of deno package outdated

I tried updating my Replit’s Nix channel to “unstable” to get the latest version of Deno (which includes the very handy Deno.serve()), but it seems it has only updated to 1.34.1 instead of 1.35.0, which is the version currently in upstream nixpkgs and the one I currently can download in my local NixOS system.

Does Replit have a mirror repo of nixpkgs? I can’t seem to figure out why I can’t download the actual latest version otherwise.

Hey @neirenoir!

I have forwarded this to the team and will follow up as soon as I have an answer!

1 Like

I have an answer!

We download pre-built packages from and then build some other packages as well. This is a manual process that takes time. We can probably do a rollout next week of the unstable channel.

1 Like

I’m also looking forward to this change. Deno is now at version 1.35.2 (which nix has) and I’d like to use its latest fixes and features in Replit.

@ShaneAtReplit Can you provide an update about when the nix unstable channel will be available?

not sure what you mean. Change the to unstable

Doing so still doesn’t seem to update the environment to use current data from the unstable channel — it seems outdated, like there’s a stale intermediate cache.

After updating a repl to use the unstable channel, here’s an example terminal output for checking deno version:

$ deno --version
deno 1.34.1 (release, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
typescript 5.0.4

But the current version in nix unstable is 1.35.2.

See also: nix pkgs search query for deno on the unstable channel

@UMARismyname Any idea what’s causing that?

We were having trouble with our release infrastructure, so it has taken longer than expected. The engineer will let me know once we update our cache, and I will follow up once that is done!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply — delays are sometimes unavoidable, of course. Any estimation on when that might happen? Not looking for anything too precise: less than a few days? Less than a week? Less than two weeks? …


Hey @jsejcksn!

I am so sorry for the delay on this. We had run into a few roadblocks that had prevented us from updating our cache disk. We have since resolved all of those blockers and have begun updating our cache. We should be done by today if not early this week. I will let you know if there are any changes to that ETA or if I have any other updates!


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.