New Year New Replit | Announcing more power and changes to pricing

Cycles is also getting more expensive. Boosts are becoming 35 times as expensive…

10 Likes

Three words: Change it back.

What I used to pay $7 monthly for now costs upwards of $47. My Repls are now less powerful and have worse uptime, and to “fix” that I need to pay $1/day for 5 always-on? Dream on, nobody is paying that.

If anything worse happens to Hacker I’ll be cancelling my subscription indefinitely and living 100% off cycles and uptimers.

Well done, Replit management, because you’ve made your first terrible decision.

EDIT: Made this post early in the morning and quite miffed, I do still agree with it but seeing how much Replit’s changing I think we give it a while and see.

37 Likes

^^ Yeah this is basically my thoughts on the situation

11 Likes

^^ this right here, the much better worded version of what I had to say

EDIT: I think most people will already be cancelling due to this, it can’t get much worse from paying 10 to 50 dollars

This seems so much like a cash grab that I kinda hate; I definitely used to be one of your #1 supporters and would recommend replit for it’s cost effectivity, but now, I think I’ll probably just recommend something else because paying 50 dollars, a month is not worth it.

you lost one of your most loyal supports, and I’m sorry it’s because of money, one of the worst ways to go down

EDIT 2: after asking literally anyone about this change, the response is all “boycott replit” “petition replit” or “change this right now,” it’s universally agreed to be not a very smart move, while increasing prices will increase profit, basic economics will state that there will be a price at which the scarcity of the goods is outweighed, which is what is happening right now 3 times over. This move won’t increase profits, it’ll make replit a barren wasteland that everyone avoids

14 Likes

It’s a nightmare when things like this happen, but whatever, it’s not our choice if they decide to lower or raise the prices. I guess we should just say screw it and support them through this; I believe they will offer a bundle in the future with much better services than we’ve seen previously!

8 Likes

But how long will that take? I have a year of Hacker plan that has lost a lot of its value.

5 Likes

Bundles will happen according to Jessse

6 Likes

I agree with this
Everything is already so expensive
Like, GhostWriter costs $10 a month
That’s one of the most costly subscriptions!
And with the 10% you take when cycles are tipped, it costs an insane amount to constantly get more and more!

8 Likes

I’m sorry, but you will loose my business next year. The hacker tier was a good deal, but now it’s less than a fifth of the previous offer.

Good luck!

13 Likes

I already did. How disappointing. :frowning:

3 Likes

This seems like a slippery slope. Who amongst the Hacker subscribers will you be “working something out” with? Even grandfathering those of us on Hacker may have been less detrimental than this plan. Was that considered?

8 Likes

We understand changes like these are hard. We didn’t make this decision lightly. We looked at costs, talked to hundreds of users, and thoroughly analyzed the market. Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback you have provided. In the spirit of transparency and building in public, I’ll highlight some of our thinking below.

• We serve 18M+ users and have continued to add power and features to Hacker. All while not changing pricing at all since 2016. This has made it hard for us to build a sustainable business - our margins are negative - and long term would have prevented us from serving everyone better. We looked at options and sought to find ways to charge for the value that we offer.

• Our free tier continues to offer outsized value over other services, and continues to get better by the week. We also support thousands of people learning to code with our free content like 100 Days of Code and Teams for Edu (which we made free earlier in 2022).

• Everything from wakeup time to layout work to workspace features have and will continue to improve. Make sure you read our newsletters and socials for new features coming soon like better search, huge Nix improvements, platform upgrades, more powerful hosting, and many more improvements and other features.

• We also now offer folks a Bounty marketplace that is integrated with the IDE, which is a world’s first that allows people to earn on Replit.

• We want to build a product that our users truly value, one that we are confident that they will use for years to come based on the value it provides.

• We will be releasing more features that will have much more power in the future — better bundles, hosting/deployments with more reliability than Always-on, more storage than you will know what to do with, incredible AI Ghostwriter tools, all connected to the amazing Replit community.

We intend to deliver on our promise of being the most powerful development experience in the world. Thank you all for being a part of the Replit community.

9 Likes

When? How were they selected? I didn’t see anything in the discord or here (and emails) asking for feedback on this stuff.

10 Likes

That’s another bizarre thing that is nonsensical. Great, they’ve changed the pricing structure…but they are cutting everyone off in April? What is that? You paid for X service for the duration of your current cycle. Seems like some breach of agreement.

• no pun intended…
10 Likes

First, thank you for the additional insight. I do not envy you and the litany of other unfavorable responses we may not see that you are.

I’ve been a casual user of this platform since it was an anonymous place to run some Python code without having to set up an entire environment. When I used “repl.it,” it indeed was a REPL with the ability to mock up some code in a hurry. Super convenient and a handy utility.

My career focus has changed over the years, and I got further away from technology, but every so often, I would have some freak need to toy with some minor code. I came back to repl.lt, and was impressed by the changes and how it continued to evolve – the graph you show is impressive.

More recently, and especially during the pandemic, my role has shifted to being a volunteer and mentor in our county’s 4-H program. Utilizing Replit, “Teams,” and what became the free Education program was fantastic. What an awesome platform for showing our youth about technology, and with a little bit of elbow grease, fantastic things can be done using technology.

Even though the Education program became a red flag because of the pricing (it seemed bizarrely expensive and a non-starter for small groups focusing on education), I was elated to see when that program became free. I was so impressed by that and the Replit staff I worked with to clear my account for use that I became a Hacker subscriber as a minimal token of my appreciation for what this platform brought to our 4-H program.

The second red flag was the introduction of “cycles” – I get it, many people find that an attractive way to interact with games, social media, and other platforms. But there are still plenty of Gen-X folks like myself and others who merely want to pay a bill and get some service. I don’t know how many of your 18 million users pay, and of that population, how many take full advantage of Hacker, but I did not. When I worked on stuff, sure, but that wasn’t all the time.

Lastly, I recently picked up a role as an adjunct faculty at a local community college. Later this spring, I will teach a Python software development course. I intended to use Replit for delivering, team coding, and grading. However, even though this is a free option, I am strongly reconsidering this approach. Furthermore, I did cancel my Hacker subscription.

Like others have posted in this forum, the execution of this was awful. We get it – you need to generate revenue to stay afloat. Part of this is a gift to the world – the gift of teaching programming. It’s why I wanted to support your company with a subscription. Rather than easing us into this or grandfathering those who chose to blaze a trail and vote with our dollars, this change represents a hefty gut punch to all Hacker subscribers.

The devaluation of what we had with the plan is insulting, and assuming that we would all be okay with this was a serious miscalculation. Again, I realize that you are a business and need to make money while balancing that with the altruistic goal of providing programming to everyone, even on the most minimal platforms or mobile. There must have been a different way to entice us to pay more without busting us in the kneecaps all at once.

This is a great platform. A lot of curious and exciting things live here now. Don’t price out or devalue your customers.

18 Likes

I find this highly amusing that you are a moderator for this Replit forum, and you, too, are struggling with this change. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

My hacker plan was renewed this December. At that moment, I bought a precise package that you won’t deliver. From my point of view, you don’t address any of my worries. Understand: If someone had done that in a restaurant, I would be pretty pissed. But I had a nice price and I do see your efforts, so yeah, not asking for a refund and telling you it’s the last year it’s a pretty kind and charitable position.

9 Likes

I just don’t understand; If you want to do this, can you keep your current setup and just deliver new things. THIS, THIS, has been my BIGGEST problem with replit, they always change, never building on what’s existing. This can be great, but right now it’s detrimental. This cash grab honestly makes you look bad, there were better ways to earn money, for example, allowing hacker plans to have the same benefits, but adding better CPUs separately, not just forcing everyone to buy that for 50 dollars a gosh darn month

9 Likes

This cash grab honestly makes you look bad

Definitely, we live in a capitalistic society, guys

7 Likes

we definitely live in a society :skull: but in all honesty it makes them look bad

3 Likes