My friend made some kind of anti-fork feature in his repl

When forked, it will just give you a bunch of errors but works normally on his posted replit. How do I get around this? Thank you in advance.

Hey @AL999,

this is interesting! I’ve seen other repls like this and you can’t actually do anything to actually fork it. But you can look at the source code and copy it! Sadly there’s nothing you can actually do.

1 Like

Even if you look at the source code and copy, the bugs still show. Thank you anyways. I can send you the link if you want it.

Yes the link moght be helpful, because it may be possible that he’s using env or something similar to achieve the effect.

1 Like

These anti-fork repls are annoying!

1 Like

Most of the anti-forks repls are the repls by newer developers because they think there repls show actual effort and should not be copied, I can relate to this because once I was one of those annoying developers who wanted to hide code. Until I realised that replit is a community to share repls, not to advertise repls. I think replit should try to make anti-fork repls more invisible, I mean those shouldn’t be allowed when publishing them.

2 Likes

What I think might be happening in this case is the fact that some environment variables in the forked repl don’t exist (e.g. a database uri). You might be able to ask your friend about how to configure the correct secrets and create a working instance of the repl.

2 Likes

Ok, thank you all for the help!