Live coding without data projection

Yesterday, the data projection in my classroom was broken so I asked students to go to the URL of my Teams for Education project. I thought they would be able to see changes as I made them, but they couldn’t, even after reloading the page. I’m wondering now if I should have used a regular REPL rather than a project. What is the right way to let students see changes through their browser as I make them?

The issue is when students start their project they make a copy/fork or whatever you have set up at that instance, so your new changes don’t push out to students’ projects.

When I want to show code to my students, I make a new group project and add all students to one group when publishing it. Then I have to view submissions and work on that one.

Another way could be to make a new project to show the code, and only publish it when done presenting.

The issue is when students start their project they make a copy/fork or whatever you have set up at that instance, so your new changes don’t push out to students’ projects.

The students claimed that they hadn’t forked the project, but they still didn’t see my changes. Some did see changes after reloading, which implies that those students, at least, weren’t looking at a fork.

When I want to show code to my students, I make a new group project and add all students to one group when publishing it. Then I have to view submissions and work on that one.

Are group projects better for real-time viewing than team projects? At this point, I wouldn’t want the students making edits, just immediately seeing mine.

Another way could be to make a new project to show the code, and only publish it when done presenting.

I don’t understand. How would they be able to see it in their web browsers if it wasn’t published? What would be the advantage of the project being unpublished?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to be sure students will be able to see my changes immediately through their browsers.

The second method would be if you are presenting and they have their monitors off, or you take over their screens.

Using the mass group project is the only way they can have it open and see what I’m doing on their screens, unless you have other software to duplicate your screen on their computers. Yes they can edit it so you have to set the expectations that they don’t, but you can still see who typed what to call out a kid messing around.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ll plan on a mass group project.

The other option would be to share a link to a non Teams for Edu repl and use multiplayer? They should see changes in real time then.