Linker & library menu for C++

Describe your feature request
A feature somewhat similar to visual studio’s linker menu. I believe a side menu to pick include directories, libraries, etc. would be extremely beneficial to the c++ workflow instead of using flimsy clang++ or g++ bash commands.

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
when compiling with bash using clang++, the -l command does not seem to apply to local folders but does only with things installed via nix (for example SDL2. SDL2 will not function without the use of the nix package despite the fact this could simply be done via a singular local folder (it actually requires both instead lol)). This will remove a lot of headaches, and a lot fewer linking issues (and many more capabilities with c++ libraries)

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
I was running into linker issues by trying to use my own header and CPP files, leading me to attempt to link the folder they are in before realizing its literally impossible (as far as I know).

In the slight chance that this post is a result of a lack of knowledge on how clang works, and that maybe there is a solution hidden in the Mariana trench for my problem, it probably would not remove the fact that bash linking with clang is usually unreliable and a lot more difficult compared to choosing your desired path via a menu similar to visual studio.

1 Like