Issues with always on

I recently developed - https://replit.com/@TheDrone7/riot-node-libs and turned on always-on for it, closed the tab, and shared it with some of my friends, one of them visited it approximately 10 minutes later and was given the “We couldn’t reach this repl page” (see screenshot)

Later on, I myself visited it from time to time and also received the same page. I understand always on might not be literally always on but the frequency at which this page was shown was troubling. (Approximately 50% of the times I visited it personally, I got it)

The link we’ve been visiting is https://riot-node-libs.thedrone7.repl.co/ to be precise.

Any help on what might be causing this is appreciated.

2 Likes

The website seems fine, it works perfectly when I visit it, it could’ve just been an issue with NodeJS not starting within a certain time (Happens with my repls as well). How long does it take for NodeJS to open HTTP traffic?

2 Likes

It should be pretty much instantaneous as it is already a production-ready build. Not to mention, since it is always on, it should automatically have the traffic open all the time, or at least almost all the time.

1 Like

I’ve heard before that Always On is a little sneaky, I can’t find the post I’m looking for, though.

Your repl stays on but it sometimes shuts down to save resources. And then start up whenever it feels like it. It’s not actually always on. More like “usually on.” This is going off my memory, I may be incorrect.

1 Like

It wasn’t actually to save resources, it is because your repls are designed to go off in a while anyways or sometimes the container they’re running on changes and they need to be re-awoken but the whole part about always-on was that it does that. It does give lower than 99% up time for sure but the expected up time is still a lot higher than what was observed in this case.

1 Like

I guess my memory isn’t always the best :man_shrugging:

Possibly a bug? I don’t think so, but if it really should be much higher, it must be a bug.

1 Like

Not really. I thought it was to save resources too, as that’s what bmb said.

2 Likes

My website (which does not use the “always on” functionality) is nearly always running.

1 Like

Well, they are supposed to go off to save resources but always on is supposed to turn off that part and it should be only going off from time to time when the container is being changed. This is the concern here, I visited the site while typing this very comment and was again shown the “couldn’t reach” page.

1 Like