Is Scratch Good for Education and Beginners?

I’m sorry but when did that happen

you didn’t know? Let me try to send a screenshot

Screenshot 2023-05-23 4.51.51 PM

1 Like

There is something similar to a array called lists that have similar functions.

I kinda bunch lists and arrays under the same thing, although I know changing values in lists are a little more iffy than changing them in arrays.

2 Likes

what is this
this is scratch

I think Scratch Cat and @element1010 (Replit’s cat other than MiloCat but MiloCat is just a regular cat) need to have a showdown :joy:

It was a joke

2nd grade?! That’s super young. Do you have any projects you have saved that I can take a look at?

1 Like

I’ve always found scratch as a useful springboard into more advanced programming, as it teaches the basics quite well while keeping it simple for inexperienced programmers.

3 Likes

Me too, I started learning HTML/CSS/JS in 2nd grade.

To me you are a prodigy. :saluting_face:

1 Like

No clue what second grade is equivalent to. I started to code when i was 8 and i only has magazines and books in basic and assembly (we talk about the early 80s here, no internet)

maybe, I might have some old 3rd grade assignments I decided to write in HTML and CSS for some reason.

1 Like

Scratch is a great place to start, but the community… oh my god the community… its horrible

2 Likes

In what way? How is it horrible?

1 Like

It’s a bunch of eight year olds where do I start!

1 Like

Actually, Scratch can produce decent games. Take Scratcharia, made by Griffpatch (most famous Scratcher). It’s like Minecraft and quite fun. Take Minecraft 2D, also by Griffpatch. Or Blue OS, Red OS, Green OS, Amber OS made by blue-os, red-os, green-os, and amber-os. They are really cool, and even have a camera function! That’s like, so much Pen extension blocks to make that. Or Griffpatch’s camera project! It’s even less pixelated than the OS ones.
I would recommend Scratch for those starting out on their coding journey. After Scratch, do Python, HTML and CSS, then do JS.

4 Likes

Paper minecraft*

I’d say start with HTML/CSS. Then maybe learn JS, and after Python, and then maybe Node.js

Edit: Forgot to mention, start with scratch if you want to be a game developer. Teaches you how to make physics and stuff, and also teaches you to be a good problem solver. Then maybe learn Python and Godot or C/C++ and C# after those. Otherwise go with the route posted above.

My range went like this (or technically is still going):
7-9 scratch
9-10 python
10-11 html, css and JavaScript
11-12 c++ and Java

3 Likes

I’m going to be completely honest. While this opinion is a bit biased considering I already had prior programming experience, I would skip everything (Scratch, Python, JS) and jump straight into either C or C++*.

After learning even just the basics of either, you will basically be able to tackle any other language at double the speed. The amount of skill you would gain from just coding a text-adventure game is absolutely insane compared to Python. I gained an absolutely crazy amount of knowledge just from putting 5 or so hours in to learn C++, and with literally no experience, most Java code makes perfect sense.

Not to mention, learning a language like such gives you much more understanding of how things work under the hood of modern programming languages such as Python, which was written in C.

*C++ is one of the hardest languages there is out there, especially with no prior programming experience. You need strong critical thinking skills, and good knowledge of computing in general (not necessarily computer programming, but at least some knowledge of how to use computers, and maybe the way they function) If you are having trouble understanding C++, maybe try C instead, as its syntax is a bit easier. If both are too confusing, I would jump into Python instead.

2 Likes

My journey started like this:
9-10: Scratch
10-13: nothing
13>: Python, HTML,CSS
(Ok, I started my coding journey pretty late, and realised my passion when I was 13 in school)

3 Likes