Is it worth it to port my Replit Python Code to a Raspberry Pi? (3B+, but that doesn't really matter)

Question:
After working on an email-oriented Python project on-and-off for months, fate decided to give me a randomly give me a raspberry pi, and I thought that it might be a good idea to port my project there instead of what I was originally going to do (use an old apple device loaded with shortcuts + Pythonista and make an automation for it to run anytime it got an email). However, since this is my first time doing something like this, I was wondering how different Replit-Python coding is from regular Python coding and, moreover how difficult it would be to port my Replit Project out of Replit. Is there anything that I might have used that’s Replit-exclusive and won’t port over easy (like secrets)? Is there anything Replit provides to make porting easier? Since I still plan on using Replit as my main IDE, do I have to re-port everything if I decide to update the project, or is there a way to sync them (even though there will bound to be program-breaking differences between the 2, like filepath differences)? The 2 replit config files aren’t needed, right? I barely have any idea as to where to start…

Repl link, for anyone curious as to what the project is:
https://replit.com/@MichaelHowell5/RewardingZealousTrees
But, USER BEWARE!!! The code contained in this repl reaks of haphazardly commented unoptimized/beginner code (comment quality jumps all over the place thanks to my mindset/programming prowess changing when I wrote said comments)! You have been warned…

:wave: Welcome back @MichaelHowell5!

1. I haven’t properly read the code, I mean, you posted this 6 minutes ago, after all, but I think the only thing that’s “Replit-specific” about it is Secrets, which you’ll have to use .env for.
  1. oh my god that code lol. It’s not that bad, I’ve definitely seen worse, but:
  • """STARTUP FUNCS""" please use # STARTUP FUNCS instead. What you used is a docstring and docstrings are meant for documenting.

MyEyesBurningEyesGIF

generally try to avoid star imports, cause what if:

• lib1 has a func, spam
  • lib2 gets an update, it now also has a spam func

now their functions will clash == not good

2 Likes