Is HTML/CSS considered a programming language?

Honestly, I think together, they are a programming language. What do you guys think?

• YES!
  • NONONONONONO YOU’RE CRAZY
  • Only HTML is a programming language
  • Only CSS is a programming language

0 voters

HTML is a markup language… CSS is a style sheet language and technically not a programming language but does have some qualities of a language. I love CSS :heart:

2 Likes

also you: picks “Only css is a programming language”

Yes because I like CSS.

Ah together, they are closer but not fully. Alone, no.

1 Like

Then why didn’t you pick, “NNONONONON YOU’RE CRAZY”?

1 Like

Ifrehkdsofgo[vdsaxf idk

listen… it’s not… like really, no

What if you include javascript in the mix? Not javascript by itself, but only in the mix of the other two?

4 Likes

All are data representation languages, and further markup/stylesheet languages. I would say yes to language, but no to programming language.

2 Likes

I mean technically but I would put HTML at the same “level” of programming lang-ness as markdown and rst

1 Like

Google says a “program” is “a series of coded software instructions to control the operation of a computer or other machine.”

One could in theory argue that markup is a series of coded instructions that control the operation of the pixels in your display.

1 Like

Both aren’t programming languages to me. People’s opinions are cool though

2 Likes

They are languages but not programming languages. HTML is Hyper Text Markup Language. And CSS is Cascading Style Sheets. It literally says they aren’t in their names

2 Likes

Yes, HTML is markup language & CSS is Cascading Style Sheet.
But, anything that can be interpreted by the Computer, is a Computer Language.

• Level 0: machine language
  • Level 1: Binary language
  • Level 2: Low level language: C & C++;
  • Level 3: non-VM interpreted High level language: GoLang
  • Level 4: VM interpreted language: Python, Java, JavaScript, HTML, CSS

Python needs CPython VM to run; Java needs Java VM to run; JavaScript, HTML, CSS needs browser engine(VM) such as V8 to run.

3 Likes

Use ChubML if anything.

Your ruining my life!!!

(but you are correct)

*sadly

1 Like

No, HTML and CSS are markup languages.

Programming Language: some executable commands that make up a program
Markup Language: some elements that gets parsed into a view

Is HTML really a bunch of commands?
If you make a full game with PURE HTML (no JavaScript), then I’ll agree HTML is a programming language.

1 Like

Depends on how “Programming Language” is being used. In the case of “Programming Language”, this is the following definition:

A programming language is a system of notation for writing computer programs.[1] Most programming languages are text-based formal languages, but they may also be graphical. They are a kind of computer language.

In the context of programming languages, HTML is considered one.

Now onto the next word: Computer Language

A computer language is a formal language used to communicate with a computer. Types of computer languages include:

Although HTML is not in the “same league” as the other languages, it is still a markup language and then inherently a computer language.

3 Likes