Introducing Replit Deployments 🌐

I can finally spill about deployments. They are awesome! You having to pay though makes sense, and it is cheap for now

7 Likes

;-; tbh they’re just like… glitch naming system and atm nothing else since you can just upgrade CPU instead of buying $6.60 a day boosts

1 Like

Nah, I still like it though

1 Like

:+1: it might be my site being bad https://replit-bot.replit.app

1 Like

This is good feedback, definitely something we can add for easy roll-backs.

We haven’t launched this yet, but we’d want this to work on a Deployment whether or not you’re on Hacker/Pro plan.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yes! Anything you can run in the Replit workspace, you can run in a Deployment.

4 Likes

Replit Database works from Deployments but Replit Auth does not yet – it’s coming soon, though!

2 Likes

Yeah, potentially! Do you think you’d use it?

3 Likes

Hmm, I don’t know. Maybe once I get more cycles. It would be a pretty cool feature to have!

2 Likes

So if you pay for Deployments, you get Always On for free?

3 Likes

Deployments is sort of like a better version of always on for hosting pages.

5 Likes

Isn’t it just a pop-up and some headers that are set?

2 Likes

Will Replit create a paid alternative to github pages (basically github pages, but with a 1gb storage limit and account-wide egress limits) soon?

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you’d ask me, I’m not affiliated with Replit so I would have no idea. I would say deployments are sort of like GitHub pages in some ways, they’re just not quite free.

2 Likes

No, the terminology is a bit confusing here!

Deployments run in a reserved VM instance that is always running, are accessible through a custom replit.app URL, and will almost never restart.

Repls that have the “Always On” setting (distinct from Deployments) still run in the standard Replit infrastructure, are accessible via the repl.co URL, and generally restart at least once per day.

3 Likes

We have discussed doing something like this soon!

3 Likes

I think that was intentional, because it will force users to use an external database hosting service, and replit has an (overpriced in my opinion) option ready for any user who can afford it.

2 Likes

I have an idea for the free tier of deployments: use the same unreliable VMs as the beta hosting, the ones that reboot all the time. I don’t expect much out of a free service, especially one like Replit that wants to make a profit. If you give me something decent for free, I will be happy.

2 Likes

Links without a specified scheme default to http. Most likely they wrote repl.co instead of [repl.co](https://repl.co). Most popular websites (e.g. Google, Github, Replit) automatically redirect to HTTPS if possible, but this isn’t built-in. While I don’t know for certain, it doesn’t seem like repl.co was not programmed to account for accessing its home page without any subdomain, which is why there isn’t any redirection. (Feel free to prove me wrong, though.)

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes