Hey Replit users,
Today we’re excited to announce Replit Deployments, the fastest way to go from idea to production in any language. It’s a ground up rebuild of our application hosting infrastructure. Here’s a list of features we’re releasing today:
- Your VM will rarely ever restart, keeping your app running and stable. You’re Always On by default. No need to run pingers or pay extra.
- Say goodbye to the “Repl Waking” screen because your VM doesn’t go to sleep.
- Dedicated VM resources for your app so you aren’t sharing machines with resource abusers.
- Control when you release to users so you can fix your app without breaking production.
- Link your custom domain in seconds, or pick a custom subdomain under the .replit.app domain.
Replit Deployments allows you to build separation between your development environment and production environment. This means you can work on your app without affecting live users. You can release any repl you’re working on into production by running a Deployment. You can customize the Build command, Run command, and set production-specific secrets values separate from development values.
For small projects like simple web servers and bots, Replit Deployments start as low as $0.20/day per Repl. However, if you wind up building the next viral generative AI app, you can go up to 4 dedicated CPU and 16 GiB RAM.
We know that you may have some questions about these changes, so we’ve prepared a list of FAQs:
Is the current hosting product (sharing repl.co URLs) being removed?
“Beta Hosting”, where you share your development environment’s repl.co URL, is now in maintenance mode. We will not be adding any new features to Beta Hosting, but applications will continue to run.
Instead, our time will be spent making Replit Deployments a best in class product. That means adding more features, offering new deployment types, and helping you grow from idea to full fledged business.
Is sharing Repls to the Replit community changing?
No. Community sharing will continue to work as it does today. This launch doesn’t impact that. In the future, we’d like to bring the same level of hosting quality to community sharing, but we don’t have those details ready yet.
Why isn’t there a free tier for Replit Deployments like there is for Replit Hosting?
We’re still working on how our free tier should be structured. We want to make sure:
- Sharing to the community remains accessible and exciting. Getting a Repl on trending should be fun, not a financial scare.
- You feel free to experiment with lots of small ideas before they take off and need higher levels of resources.
We’ll have more details to share here soon.
What’s happening to repl.co sites?
Nothing is happening to repl.co websites today. It’s still possible to share the repl.co URL backing your development environment. But we think you’ll have a better experience using the new workflow and explicitly releasing your apps.
Are pingers banned from accessing repls?
No. Pinger sites like UpTimeRobot can be a good way to monitor your app for unexpected crashes. In the past, users also used those sites to keep repls “warm” for smooth wake-ups. That’s no longer necessary as the app is always warm and running.
We’re excited to launch Replit Deployments, and we look forward to hearing your feedback. Feel free to leave any comments below. You can also join our pro dev discord server if you prefer to leave feedback there. You can learn more about Replit Deployments in our announcement blog post as well.
The Replit Team