If I complete Python 100DaysOfCode

Does it make sense to do a full stack software engineering bootcamp if I complete Python 100DaysOfCode? Something like General Assembly’s 12 week software engineering immersive course. These courses can be expensive (17k)

In my opinion, one doesn’t need to spend any money for a course to learn programming.
Since there are many different subjects and topics you could go into in programming, a course only covers either the basics or essentials, or it covers a specific, usually common subject.

However, there are many other things you could do, and you should figure out what you want to do with your programming experience. (Or, you could keep on learning and exposing yourself to programming for longer. No rush to decide, try out different topics.) Then, you could explore that instead of taking a paid course. It is very easy to self learn anything with the internet.

Making projects is my preferred way of learning, rather than rigid courses.

5 Likes

this is sort of my intuition as well; however, what’s the best self learning “roadmap” after python 100daysOfcode, if I’m considering becoming a full time programmer?

I’d like to add to @NuclearPasta0’s response.
First - I agree with everything they said.
To add:
1 - If you’re considering the course as a step to working as a coder, find out if the for-pay courses actually have a good record for employment of their graduates. Don’t ask the people who run the course, dig around, check reviews.
2 - I don’t know how much you know about coding or why you’re interested in learning it, but if you want to know whether or not coding is right for you, then a free, substantial course like 100DaysOfCode might be just the ticket. I think I’d rather know that I DO want to code and am willing to do what it takes to learn it BEFORE I spend $17k on a course. I bring this one up because I’ve been working with various types of code, off and on, for enjoyment since the 1980s (yea, boomer). Even with my background, I’m really struggling with 100DaysOfCode. I don’t know if those boot camps have a time limit, but if they do, then I’m GLAD I didn’t go that route as that would be money down the drain for me.
3 - Once I’ve completed this course, I’ll ask myself if I want to do a for-pay course. Consider that idea for yourself.

4 Likes

The roadmap for python is, generally, either backend web development (flask), or data science (numpy, scipy), or machine learning. There are many others of course, but these three I think are the most common and well known for python. You’ll want to consider both your interests and your education/strengths. And python is just one language, you could learn another for other topics.

In my opinion, I would never spend money on a course when it is generally very easy to learn the same thing for free online (and with more flexibility, but less help).

4 Likes

No. If you really need courses to learn and practice, just look at Udemy (and wait for discounts) or use Coursera in free mode (thus ignore the credits)

4 Likes