I got access to replit extensions!

Well, I use many languages. But I guess lot of people would love it in python!
I just hate JS as it is the most abused of all but I have been building complex stuff with it (before you guys could play with angular and alike, so truly brutal manual JS, yes I am that old).

2 Likes

Curious (admittedly I love JS), how is JS abused?

4 Likes

It went from a scripting language to being used for everything with all sort of injections from other languages without a clear philosophy behind. This because people wanted to do more without being forced to learn more suitable languages.
A language is a tool and every tool has its use, but JS have been turned into a jackknife and it is ugly as result.

But hey I am probably the grandpa here as when i started we only had ASM to do serious stuff, then came C. And silly thiungs were in BASIC or LOGO …

4 Likes

So what makes it ugly? The way it’s an ‘all purpose’ language made for people to do things easily?

2 Likes

Ugly = not efficient. Both as language and of the ugliness framework needs to do to allow to do things always the same way.
There is a reason why Erlang was used/still is as network backbone or C for embedded or rust now for networks. And unglyness bring exploits, bugs, and all sort of things.

2 Likes

Ohh, so because it’s slow because it’s JIT then? That kind of idea? Or are we talking more the syntax or something? (Pretend I’m an eight year old lol :smile:)

1 Like

Not only. But hey do not worry, you will find than when we grandpa’s die nobody woudl ever remember … well maybe people doing embedded programming only

2 Likes

lemma guess, ur a python user perhaps?

1 Like

Me.
Yes and no. I use a language based on the reason and fun. Lately i have been working in asm, rust, go, python, C, ruby, js (and some of his frameworks). Before also forth, fortran, erlang, pascal, ada, cobol, java, C++.
But as now i program for fun (I have a start-up to run) i use python more as i want to teach it to my youngest kid

2 Likes

Some people had access to the beta months ago

3 Likes

Yeah, but it wasn’t hard to figure out how to use it because when they released the extensions for a short time to the public to hype it up (they removed it for people w/o beta access) they had to make the repls with he code public and therefore it was super easy to just figure out how everything worked

3 Likes