How to run dbus in replit

I executed following command: dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus / --type=method_call org.freedesktop.DBus.ListNames

and got error : Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

How to run dbus in replit?

Hello there,
It seems like the D-Bus daemon is not running in your Replit environment, which is why you are getting the error message “Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory”.

To run D-Bus in Replit, you can follow the steps below:

1. Install the D-Bus package by running the following command in the Replit terminal:
sudo apt-get install dbus
  1. Start the D-Bus daemon by running the following command:
sudo dbus-daemon --system --fork
  1. Check if the daemon is running by running the following command:
sudo service dbus status

You should see a message saying that the daemon is running.

1. Finally, run your D-Bus command again:
dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus / --type=method_call org.freedesktop.DBus.ListNames

This time, the command should work without any errors.

Note that you may need to run the sudo command for some of these steps as they require administrative privileges.

1 Like

The sudo command is not available in any repl, as it would be a security risk, so all these steps will not work.

1 Like

I thought so…I wonder how then.

dbus can be installed using nixpkgs (by adding pkgs.dbus to replit.nix), but won’t work without abusing LD_PRELOAD or something to make /etc/machine-id seem to have a valid value.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @OSoft :smiley:

I try install dbus via sudo apt-get, and the output is here :

~/EulerBot$ sudo apt-get install dbus
sudo: command not installed, but was located via Nix.
Would you like to run sudo from Nix and add it to your replit.nix file? [Yn]: Y
Adding sudo to replit.nix
success
/nix/store/y3hbm9wvcvrfyzm1h96r036k3p36lprz-sudo-1.9.7
sudo: /nix/store/y3hbm9wvcvrfyzm1h96r036k3p36lprz-sudo-1.9.7/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set
Detected change in environment, reloading shell...
~/EulerBot$ sudo apt-get install dbus
sudo: The "no new privileges" flag is set, which prevents sudo from running as root.
sudo: If sudo is running in a container, you may need to adjust the container configuration to disable the flag.
~/EulerBot$ apt-get install dbus
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

sudo is not working, plus apt-get seems to require admin privileges.

I think sudo is needed to do following step… :

It seems like the D-Bus daemon is not running in your Replit environment,

sudo dbus-daemon --system --fork

As you said dbus was able to be installed using nixpkgs, @9pfs1 :laughing:
Thanks for your advice!
But, I don’t know what I should change the value LD_PRELOAD to…
And what would be the conditions for the value of id /etc/machine-id to be valid in this case?

P.S.

I executed following command : echo $LD_PRELOAD
And output is blank.
So, the variable LD_PRELOAD is empty at now.

1 Like

At now, I am reading a document about dbus and machine-id for be able to work pkgs.dbus : MachineId - Debian Wiki

You can create a shared library that hooks open(2) and changes the path for attempts to access /etc/machine-id, that worked for me once

Oh, I try it :fire:
Thanks for sharing your solution!