How to Make an RPGMaker-equse Battle Discord Bot?

I know practically NOTHING about how to code, let alone how to code a discord bot. I’m hoping if I can ask for help from the community, maybe I can get this done.

I’m hoping to create a discord bot that can read messages from multiple channels, interpret data from the text in said channels (so I can have stat pages of characters), work with Attack, Skill, Guard and Item commands combined with Combo Dials, be able to alter text in a specific channel to display constantly changing stats (like HP, SP, TP and extras), be able to display a combat message that displays what happened in a battle turn, and be able to calculate how much damage was dealt, manage status effects and Item usage. Possibly more, but for now this is the baseline.

I understand this is quite a lot, but I’m willing to take things one step at a time.
Any help, from coding tips to even a starting point in a fork, would be appreciated.

I’m sorry, but someone with zero experience should not undertake such a tedious project. I suggest choosing your first language, and then making basic projects in that language. When you’ve mastered it, you can move on to more advanced topics, like this one.

2 Likes

Is there a recommended language to start with? I heard python is what is used for discord bots.
This is a bit of a one time goal of mine- I might not code after this, maybe I will. Either way, this is what is currently driving me forward.

1 Like

Yeah, Python is pretty easy to learn, too. I recommend 100 days of code. If all you want to make is discord bots, you can probably stop at around day 65.

2 Likes

You can make them in almost any language, but even people who know like 5 other languages go to python for discord bots, as it has the best and most filled out library, aka discord.py.

1 Like

Any language should work (I’d recommend C, because it’s the most efficient)

Discord.py is so slow…

Correction, python is slow, and all the “fast” stuff in python was made in C.

2 Likes