How do I set Replit as default code editor?

I recently went to write a python script for a program I frequently use, Revit. I created the script.py file in the folder I made and my system automatically defaulted to opening it with visual studio. But how would I go about using Replit as my default code editor?

1 Like

Hey @SkyeParker! Welcome to the community!

I don’t think this is possible, since this will send you to the home page and won’t proceed any further.

You can request for it as a new feature at #feature-requests.

6 Likes

Replit is a web hosting service, not a text editor.

4 Likes

You could in theory make an application which registers itself as a file handler, sends file data to a browser extension with native messaging, which opens Replit, creates a Repl for you, and inserts the file content inside it

3 Likes

It’d be easier to just use vscode or something (which has far better performance). Also, that’d risk leaking private information if a user didn’t have private repls and e.g. accidentally opened a file with passwords using Replit.

3 Likes

It is actually both and more. it is a hosting service, and also an IDE aka text editor ++

2 Likes

So if I want to post my code on replit and get some help on it, Should I just copy paste it to a repl? Or what is the best way to interconnect the two?

1 Like

To use replit you can either copy to the web IDE or (but you need to pay) use a local IDE via ssh (something I am really itching to try). If you want help all that matter is that your code is in replit so we can also look at it.

2 Likes

You can set up an SSH server (dropbear is known to work) in a repl and use GitHub - vi/websocat: Command-line client for WebSockets, like netcat (or curl) for ws:// with advanced socat-like functions to make SSH work over a websocket, then set up websocat on the repl to forward websocket traffic in binary mode to the repl’s SSH server. For example:

websocat --binary ws-l:0.0.0.0:8080 tcp:127.0.0.1:23 &
# ssh server

(And on the local computer):

websocat --binary tcp-l:127.0.0.1:22 wss://repl-name.repl-owner.repl.co/

(It isn’t as easy to set up as Replit’s SSH service, but it should work just as well, if not better)

4 Likes