Hiding Files from Students

I would like to have a text file that students can’t directly read. (I want it hidden, only accessible via code.) Is there an easy way to do that?

1 Like

Hey, @MikeMcGuire welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify you want a file that the students can see but they can get the contents of it with code. Corect?

No, I don’t want them to be able to open it up. For example, let’s say I have a text file with 1000 random two-digit numbers and I want them to write code to count all of the 25s. I don’t want them to be able to open up the text file visually and count them manually. That’s a bit of a silly example, but you get the idea.

1 Like

I don’t believe this is possible without any external hosting. And I made a typo be for I meant to say cant not can.

OK, thanks for responding.

1 Like

As long as you have it in text format in resources console window can preview it. Also one can download and view it via document readers.

So currently there is no way to hide file contents from students.

@lena this is a nice idea to have for some projects, hiding features for files. Also control on who can download them.

1 Like

OK, thanks. I’ll just make it so big that it’ll be easier to write the code.

You can do this in Teams for Education by creating a lesson plan! Lesson plans are only visible to Team Admins, but you can edit and view them right from the Team Project! You can read more on this here: Replit Docs - Lesson and Instructions Authoring

I understand that I can hide information there, but I can’t hide a text file that the student code can access, can I?

Oh, I see what you mean. We don’t have hidden files other than those used to configure the repl. You could take a look to see if these might be helpful, though! In a repl, they are hidden in the file tree “kebab” on the top right until you expand them. Students can still access them but they are not obvious.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.