Hiding assignments for Teams

Describe your feature request
When an assignment is hidden, students should not be able to access it from anywhere in their repl.it account.

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
Students’ ability to cheat on assessments by using older assignments.

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
I limited my students’ access (I thought) by hiding their older assignments for our midterm exam, and then saw that it didn’t limit it at all.

4 Likes

Hi @JessicaNorworth thanks for your request.

The way that Teams for Edu is built means that when a student clicks on start project they are creating a copy of your project template into their own Replit account. This means the teacher no longer has control over the access to the copy as students can simply visit the URL of their Repl to see its contents.

If you want to control student access to Repls I recommend making private Repls in the teacher account and inviting students to access these. Then, when you don’t want them to access them anymore, remove the invite.

If you need more information please let me know. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the ability to make private ones without personally paying for it. Also, if I have 50 students, that’s a lot of legwork to make an individual one for each student. Please consider creating a way for teachers, within teams, to easily create and then hide a “private” assignment. Thank you.

Hi @JessicaNorworth thanks for your reply.

You are correct. To make private repls you would have to have a Hacker plan or use cycles. Just for clarity I’m a teacher too and my students use Replit each year for their programming, web design and database assessments. If I’m lucky I can ask the school to pay for the cost of the plan, but usually I meet the cost myself in order to give students the opportunity to use Replit for their assignments. Previously I’d used local installs of software.

You are also correct that manual creation of 50 repls for students is a bit of a pain. I make a template and then fork it the required amount of times, then rename each Repl slightly to include student initials for reference later.

I’ve upvoted your suggestion and maybe Replit will be able to implement this in future but, given that this would require a major overhaul of the Teams product in order to do this, it might take some time to appear (if approved).

1 Like

Thank you for the advice and your reply.

1 Like

Hi Jessica,

One solution is to monitor the Who’s coding section of your Team during a test. That way you can see if/when a student has opened an old repl during the test.

1 Like