Hide the Shell tab?

For HTML/CSS projects, is it possible to hide the Shell tab by default?

2 Likes

I dont belive there is a way to hide the shell without using external programs.

you could make the shell self-destruct as soon as it starts and block access to the .replit file so that it can’t be bypassed. I don’t know how people use repl for edu, but normally you could do this in a template and make everyone use that template. Run in shell:

sed -i "1ionBoot = \"chmod +rwx /nix/store/fayv2rwr7z7lrw65s7ilwhcvn8jih9iz-replit-bashrc/bashrc;echo 'kill -1 \$$\'>/nix/store/fayv2rwr7z7lrw65s7ilwhcvn8jih9iz-replit-bashrc/bashrc\"" .replit

why exactly do you want to hide the shell though? I assumed this was to stop students using the shell, for any reason. If it was for just hiding the shell from view by default, you could use one of those script executor browser extensions to close the shell when the repl loads up. Something like

javascript: document.querySelector("#main-content > div.css-1ye0645 > div > div.css-5o6owp > div:nth-child(5) > div.css-1iuoeqv > div.css-1wwkige > div > div.os-padding > div > div > div > div:nth-child(2) > div > div > button").click()

Revisiting this really old post - neither of the workarounds make any sense to me (I’m just a teacher). Is there not a command / option that can be placed in the .replit file to set the default tabs upon opening or forking a Repl? That seems like something that could be added so that teachers can setup the environment for the students. Think 10-year olds with tons of stuff on the screen. They’ll never need to use the shell (and the old console was so much better in the education sector, but I digress).

(I know edu’s suddenly not so relevant, but for reference)

Instead of this: if you can make the changes you want to before a repl loads, you’d rather use GraphQL (inspect the Network tab).

Remember that .css-* classes change on every Replit version, so this wouldn’t work anymore. Instead you should write it relative to children and parents of the element.

1 Like