Help Needed: ModuleNotFoundError for Pandas in Python Project

Hello Replit Community,

I’m working on an academic research project and have encountered a persistent and challenging issue with importing the pandas library in my Python script. Despite successful installation, the library seems to be inaccessible when running the script. I’m detailing the issue below and would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights from the community.

Issue Summary:

After successfully installing pandas, my Python script fails to import it, throwing a ModuleNotFoundError.

Error Log:

vbnetCopy code

Installing collected packages: six, tzdata, pytz, python-dateutil, numpy, pandas
Successfully installed numpy-1.26.2 pandas-2.1.4 python-dateutil-2.8.2 pytz-2023.3.post1 six-1.16.0 tzdata-2023.3
~/jrope$ python main.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/runner/jrope/main.py", line 10, in <module>
    import pandas as pd
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pandas'

Steps Taken:

1. I initially installed pandas with pip and encountered the above ModuleNotFoundError when attempting to import it in my script.
  2. I created a new environment and tried managing dependencies with Poetry, but faced further issues, including uncertainty whether Python 3.9 or Python 3.10 was being used.
  3. I observed that pandas is present in the “.pythonlibs” and “.config” directories, yet it’s not recognized in the script.

Further Complications:

• Attempting to use poetry shell resulted in an assertion error.
  • Network and permission-related errors arose when using Poetry for installations.

Given these challenges, I’m seeking advice or solutions to address this problem. I’ve tried restarting the workspace and verifying Python versions for compatibility, but the issue persists.

Any help or suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best Regards

Hello,
could you share your replit.nix file contents? (It is hidden by default, Show hidden files in three dots first.)
Also, type echo $PYTHONPATH in the shell and share the output.

I suspect that PYTHONPATH has been corrupted by a nix dependency or by pip. The general workaround is this:
Show hidden files, then open .replit file.
Near the bottom, insert this (if there is an existing [env] section, use that instead):

[env]
PYTHONPATH = "$REPL_HOME/.pythonlibs/lib/python3.10/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH"
4 Likes

Hello Replit Community,

I’ve been following the advice from NuclearPasta0 about fixing a PYTHONPATH issue by editing the .replit file. Despite these efforts, I’ve run into several complex problems:

1. Initially, import pandas resulted in ModuleNotFoundError.
  2. After modifying .replit with PYTHONPATH = "$REPL_HOME/.pythonlibs/lib/python3.10/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH", I faced a new error: ImportError: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
  3. Attempting to reinstall pandas led to a syntax error in the concurrent.futures module.

Given these challenges, I decided to transfer my scripts to a new Replit workspace. However, I’m still keen to understand what went wrong in the original setup. Any insights or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, NuclearPasta0, for your suggestions, and thank you to anyone who can shed light on these issues.

The 1st problem can always be investigated easily. If the package is present and in PYTHONPATH, it can be imported.

I took a look at your repl (next time, provide a direct link to it) and found several problems.

1. In your .replit file, you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to PYTHON_LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Normally, this shoudn’t be much of a problem. However, I think that it should be appended rather than overwriting it. Also, apparently you should be able to just put any library dependencies directly in deps in replit.nix, because replit has its own REPLIT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable that is used for everything.
  2. In your replit.nix file, you have a dep in deps called nix-update. (It would be useful to know why this is here, which package needs this?). I know that nix-update has a bug on replit that overwrites PYTHONPATH, requiring the PYTHONPATH modification workaround in my last post.
  3. In .pythonlibs/lib/python3.10/site-packages, there is apparently a concurrent package. But I’m not sure why that’s there. It is supposed to be a builtin library. Removing it should be fine.
  4. In replit, it is not recommend to use requirements.txt and not recommended to use pip. It can sometimes lead to problems. (Also note that sudo and apt are not usable in replit.) Always use poetry instead.