Grading submissions -- < and > arrows don't work as expected

This is fun … I have a group of students and when I click on Switch submissions, I see the list of students in the order in which I want them to appear, sorted by their nicknames (made up, obviously):

Adams, Joan
Barron, Jim,
Chee, Sarah
Edwards, Susan
Franklin, Charlie

But if I click on the < and > arrows when I am on, say, Chee, I expect to move back to Barron or forward to Edwards, respectively. Instead, I just jump to some apparently random student. [I’m sure there’s a reason, I just don’t know what it is.]

Yes, I can click on the submission menu, but it always resets to the top of the class, and I have a lot of students to grade, which equals a lot of pointless scrolling.

I think it rotates between students who have submitted the work and skips the ones who haven’t. That’s why you might see students in a different order.

Thanks for your reply Ian, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I started with the first student, and have, beneath that, multiple students who have submitted: but clicking on > skips over them. TBH it looks random.

Again, just to make this clear, my list of students, let us say, looks like this (except it’s much longer):

Alfred
Barbara
Clarissa
Dennis
Edward

If I am currently grading Clarissa, then < ought to go back to Barbara, and > ought to go forwards to Dennis, in the same way that if I’m in chapter 5 in an eBook and hit > I expect to go to chapter 6, not chapter 37 or chapter 2.