Global Replit DB

Describe your feature request
A built in database which all users can put data into, unlike the individual ones made for each person like now.
What problem(s) would this feature solve?
Having to set the DB url in an unsafe way, and not being able to create a public database.
The public database would allow the code to upload stuff to the db, but for only the specific repl, and each repl would have its own.
Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
I was going to make a game which required a database which every player would be able to access. I could’ve made a flask server, but…repl identity is broken too yay!

2 Likes
  1. repl identity
  2. yeah it’s pretty broken but that was supposed to be the “fix” and so making a global db is going to be like this global_db_security <= repl_identity_security
3 Likes

Yes, yet another feature that secrets useable by users but only on same repl would fix

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what repl identity was supposed to do

RIP

Can’t wait till the fix… Which means i’ll be waiting till I die

1 Like

run echo $DB_URL in shell to get the url for the database in your repl. Does this help?

I think it may have been a misunderstanding, but I meant a db that would be accessible by all users by default, without having to set the db url in an unsafe way which would allow users to connect to it

3 Likes

How is it unsafe? You can just hide it in secrets though I do agree that’s not easily accessible to everybody

2 Likes

yes, but i need it to be accessible by everyone in a text-based repl

3 Likes

I think you mean echo $REPLIT_DB_URL

2 Likes