Give Core users a Reserved VM

Describe your feature request
Allow Core users to deploy one Repl as a Reserved VM without having to pay extra.

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
Help some people here with questions about deploying non-website Repls with Core.

11 Likes

I definitely agree. Another way to do this is have the different tiers cost x amount of compute units daily so you cant have vm and autoscale deployments since Replit most likely wouldn’t want that

5 Likes

Another thing I was thinking was having different plans for each type of deployment/Repl.

One with a high Egrees limit (for Static Repls), one like Core with high storage, Autoscale compute units, & PostgreSQL, one mainly for bots with Reserved VMs, and maybe one with everything (like current Core but with Reserved VMs)

But I thought that would be too much

4 Likes

Yea I think that would be too much and too complicated. But add ons, to plans for those are a good idea IMO. Though that would be a diffrent feature request

4 Likes

For this, can websites be hosted with a Reserved VM though?

2 Likes

Isn’t there an option for a web server when deploying a VM?
@QwertyQwerty88 This is how I knew:

2 Likes

Oh, interesting.

I guess so, since it’s a part of Reserved VM deployments.

2 Likes

If you’re hosting a 24/7 website, autoscale will be MUCH more expensive than just having a reserved VM (and not necessarily better).

Here you can see the approximate price for the lowest tier autoscale deployment being used 24/7 for one month with Core. Very pricy when compared to a reserved VM (lowest tier is $6.40 a month without the additional $20 for Core)

In addition, Replit Pro had 1 Always On repl and given Always On is being deprecated, a lowest tier Reserved VM Deployment would be a great way to replace this.

2 Likes

Your comment is a bit misleading.

Most user sites are not utilized 100% of the time (more like 1-5%). Autoscale is significantly cheaper for most of our users, and is the right choice for most web-based projects.

Think of autoscale like serverless hosting. Replit will spin up your website to serve traffic, then turn it off when nobody is on your site.

In other words, you only pay for when people are actually processing requests on your app.

2 Likes

I disagree, it’s not misleading.

Dillon specifically states that it will be more expensive if the site is on 24/7, though

4 Likes

Available 24/7 != alive 24/7.

People will see the message and think they have to pay to keep the site up for 100% of the month.

Going to post something in updates shortly which responds to this more formally.

5 Likes
6 Likes

I agree, autoscale is almost always the better option for sites. What I was saying was that if a site is receiving requests 24/7, it will be much more cost effective to use a Reserved VM. That’s a very uncommon scenario for the vast majority of sites though.

3 Likes

This is possible now, with the new flexible credits on the core plan!

6 Likes