Fixing Trending

I was recently flagged for negativity on a post, and Ian messaged me, and it ended up steering towards fixing trending so I have some suggestions?
I said:

So yes, essientally I’m frustrated by the system because you tend to get trending if you’re already popular, and don’t if you’re not because of the time constraint and would like to see more high quality posts on trending/posts that show high level knowledge, versuses lots of games. How about, you could implement trust levels and higher trust levels have a high vote weight count?

Other ideas:

1. once a repl gets trending, it must get exponentially more likes per hour to stay
    — this is to flush out trending
  2. repls must receive likes based on the amount of comments have linked it, amount of followers the account has, and the amount of followers the comments linking it have
    — this it to make sure newly made alts don’t explode on trending because the main commented about it and so that “popular” replers still have to work just as hard to make good projects to get on trending
  3. I guess I’ll add it to the list, but implement trust levels, and each trust level has a higher like weight
  4. TL is based not on sheer followers alone but also on some moderator input
    — this is to make “gem” creators who would never get lots of followers (like, I’d say PikachuB2005) a chance for a higher TL because their work is based on something the general populace is not going to be interested in but is high level and requires much work
  5. trending categories
    — this is to satisfy those looking for games and stuff, but there would still be a “general” trending
  6. less dependent on time
    — In addition, making a “hiatus” option to ensure you can revive your project and they have a good change of being able to “resurface,” that is, set your project to a mode where you are on haitus and the project will be hidden from trending but after hiatus, you can be “reviewed” for trending as if it was a new repl
12 Likes

Trending really needs a fix, after reading this post I went to look at it, and found a 20 minute old repl that is nothing but an HTML page with a string of text saying “Please like” or whatever that is #1 on trending. This completely ruins the page for anyone actually putting effort into what they make.

To clarify, I’m not saying its the worst, but it could be better.

8 Likes

Yes as @JaceBillingsley said, a qualm with replit trending is repls like this

1 Like

edit: just noticed what Ian said, sorry! feel free to delete this message if it violates something, my bad

As Gautum has brought up, for a repl to to successful, it needs a like within a few minutes, which like automatically guarantees success. However, if this doesn’t happen, your repl is basically dead. This also ensures that more long term projects can’t really get a revive as easily if the creator has burnout or goes on hiatus or something, also which isn’t the best system to have.

1 Like

Yes, these are what the rough changes are trying to suggest fixes to

1 Like

Is it confusing? Because that’s what I wrote XD

Interesting, but going to move this into feature request.

1 Like

oh nice, please vote :smiley:

vote would be pretty good

1 Like

The repls on trending go by an algorithm, the followers don’t county, only the repl stats. Obviously If you have a lot of followers you have more chances to get in trending because more people will see on the feed that you published a repl.

3 Likes

Yes, but my proposal is that they should be taken into account :smiley:

1 Like

They shouldn’t. It’s the repl which’s getting on replit, not the account!

1 Like

I know I’m saying that the amount of followers will impact the speed at which a repl gets likes, I’m just spitballing however :stuck_out_tongue: Ian asked me to make a post with suggestions so I’m just kinda writing anything down

We got an @IanAtCSTeach vote O_O (staff votes go brr)

It’s for a good cause.

2 Likes

mhm, trending is really broken

1 Like

I just saw this on trending… https://replit.com/@AMok2016/print-house?v=1

2 Likes

bruh, what, how did that get trending

2 Likes

UPDATE:

there are literally like 20 of these

1 Like

Report them and a mod will handle them