Firewalled Replit defined (and blocked) globally by google as a phishing site

It is likely something automatic rather than individual user reports.

My understanding is that firewalled Replit isn’t supposed to avoid malicious code (Replit’s moderation team deal with Repls that violate TOS, and malicious content, among other things, falls under prohibited content according to the terms of service), it’s supposed to avoid the community aspect to prevent students accessing other Repls that are not their own. One of the big reasons for firewalled Replit is to prevent students from accessing proxies on Replit that enable them to bypass school restrictions.

‘why is it immune?’, well, I couldn’t vouch for this being the case, but Replit has a partnership with Google so that could be part of the reason.

If I may, what do you define as ‘safe’?

2 Likes

I was under the impression that repls created in firewalled didn’t have access to the internet (as defined here:

On firewalledreplit.com, repls are completely blocked from accessing the Internet, apart from repositories of well-known, trusted software libraries that are needed for coding.

As such, I was under the impression that the site would never be flagged for phishing, as it wouldn’t even be able to gather information (such as usernames and passwords) and send them back to the repl author. Again…this is all hinged on Google’s block being accurate, which I hope they can provide me with more specific information, but I doubt I’ll hear back from them on the ticket I opened, who knows, sometimes they come through.

That’s confusing to me that one section of their website is susceptible to google’s safe search algorithm, however another is not. Do they not have a partnership with Google for the firewalled replit domain?

I was mainly referring to the ability for students to override the block by everyone marking it safe as was mentioned in an earlier response.

But from a safety/privacy perspective, at least in schools, here in the states we need to follow cipa,coppa, and in NY ed law2d agreements need to be in place. So what I deem is safe is irrelevant, the federal and state governments are the entities enforcing the rules on that.

Basically these state that children on school networks (and now even on home networks, while using school provided hardware) shouldn’t be able to expose their identities on school networks to outside organizations without any agreements in place, and they should not be able to access to obscene or harmful content over the Internet.

If these “rules/laws” aren’t followed, schools risk financial penalties (and possibly legal as well, but I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t know that side). I just know we would lose e-Rate funds, possibly void any cyber insurance policies we have, and taxpayers would not be happy about having to kick in more $$ to cover technology :wink:

Aside from all of this and more important is the student and teacher comfort level with the technology. And this year unfortunately has been very frustrating with replit. We have an award winning AP CS program in NY and when the teachers can’t even get simple html projects to load for half the students in the class they get concerned. We’ve been using replit since COVID hybrid sessions, but without any direct technical support contacts at replit (I understand, it’s a free application, so support shouldn’t be expected) and now with the possibility of it being globally blocked by Google at any time without notice or updates on the issue, we’ve started looking at others (i.e. CodeHS and Tynker look specifically designed for K-12).

3 Likes

I agree that schools have a huge burden on keeping their network safe and PG rated, especially since kids have the literal opposite goal. What I would recommend is to consult a legal advisor (your end and/or a replit employee) and discuss this situation.

Hey there,

We’re looking into this. Note: id.firewalledreplit.co is used to create a webview for an HTML Repl.

From our docs:

A firewall is used to prevent repls from accessing the Internet (apart from a small number of software package repositories).
Replit’s community and search features are hidden.

1 Like