Files being added to git index again, although I removed them

Problem description:
When I remove files from the git index (because I want to make a certain change a two commit change, instead of doing the whole thing in a single commit), and I’m not fast enough doing the actual commit, it seems like the replit git loop automatically re-adds all files to the git index. This has made me inadvertently commit more files than I wanted to on more than one occasion…

Expected behavior:
I remove files from the git index, and they stay gone.

Actual behavior:
Files are relatively quickly and automatically re-added to the index

Steps to reproduce:
change more than a single file, wait until they’re presented as changed and added to the git index. Remove a file from the index by clicking the ‘-’ symbol on the Git pane. Wait a minute or so. See that they are re-added.

Bug appears at this link:

Browser/OS/Device:
Chrome, MacOS

Hey @MaximBurgerhout!

Thank you for reporting this issue. I was able to reproduce this and have sent it to the team. I will follow up if I have any updates!

1 Like

Actually, if you enable “Explorer” mode in the “Roles” section of the https://replit.com/account#roles page, that should give you access to our upcoming revision of the Git pane, which should include a fix for this issue. Please let me know if the new version of the Git pane fixes this issue!

2 Likes