Enforce Form Fields for New Users

Describe your feature request
Make it so that new users on the ask forum have to fill out the entire form before they can post a question.

What problem(s) would this feature solve?
Wasting time having to go back and ask what the problem is, and then ask again for the repl link.

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
There are a LOT of new users who keep posting questions, but over half of them do not fill out the forms correctly and then we have to ask for clarification. Making it so that they have to fill out the forms would help everything go a lot smoother. Plus maybe something that says

DONT TITLE YOUR POST WITH THE ENTIRE PROBLEM, PUT IT IN THE FORM

Also i didnt see a forum feature request category so I put it under the feature request tag

6 Likes

I am pretty sure they already are getting a plug-in for this.

3 Likes

@dragonhunter1 is partly correct. I know a plugin that will do this but we currently do not have access to it. But we are in the process of getting access to custom plugins but its taking longer than expected. We should have a decision by the end of the month (hopefully)

As for putting their problem in the title our TL3s edit them to shorter

Correct. It has been requested in the past. Its just in General and tagged with forum-feedback

9 Likes

There is also an issue where new users will learn and do these activities and skills for the tutorial but not apply them when making a real post.

9 Likes

YES, it is so annoying because I am trying to help people but no one is filling out the whole form so it takes a bunch of back in forth to just figure out the problem…

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to use the #forumfeedback tag

I noticed that you are directing this towards new users. Does that mean that the rest of us are excused? (Feel free to debate this) I don’t think it’s usually necessary for those of us that have been here awhile. But for new users it’s not a bad idea.

5 Likes

This is my own thoughts since im not going to put words in their mouth. But from what I have seen most users that have been on Ask already fill out all the fields (at least the relevant ones) whereas many new users do not.

5 Likes

Plus sure TL2 and TL3’s do not fill out all the boxes but or do it right, but we always include the most crucial part: A description, and a link. While new users and >TL1do either one, barely do either/one of them, or none at all.

4 Likes

I still feel like this is the case not going to lie…

Still many unsolved issues are because of this.

3 Likes

What issues does this cause? Since usernames are the same as mainsite I see no issues

I think he means

Mabey I should read more than just the title of the topic…

Either way we shared a plugin with support that would do this and they said did not have any interest in that one or others for other things.

3 Likes