Does Replit itself have an API?

Question:
Does Replit have a native API? I don’t mean the extensions API, but rather does the core Replit IDE product have it’s own API?

2 Likes

Yes it does have the GraphQL API. https://replit.com/graphql

5 Likes

Yeah but you’re not really supposed to use it, but it’s not against TOS AFAIK.

3 Likes

It is against ToS AFAIK. Replit is only allowing users to use it for some reason. Other than that, there is no specific rule on GraphQL.

If you use it, we can’t guarantee that you won’t be banned.

4 Likes

Can you screenshot/link where it says that it’s against ToS? https://replit.com/site/terms

2 Likes

Here, in a post by @RayAtReplit.

I don’t know the exact point in ToS that mentions that, but according to @RayAtReplit, it is against ToS.

5 Likes

Hmm, thanks this is very helpful! Is there any API documentation on how to use the graphql Replit API?

2 Likes

No, I don’t think so. You just have to experiment around (use the Network tab in DevTools). That’s all I can tell you. Remember that you can get banned for using it.

EDIT: There is an old schema accessible at https://replit.com/@masfrost/replit-gql-schema, but it’s quite outdated and doesn’t work.

4 Likes

Yeah, but only site mods have access to it.

5 Likes

Like Ray said in the other post it is officially against Replit TOS to use GQL. Though we do allow it sometimes to encourage “hacker culture”. To make something that does stuff other than get data from Replit you need to get permission. You can from making a ticket at contact.moderation.repl.co/

And for getting data there are restrictions though I don’t know what they are off the top of my head

7 Likes

So short answer: yes Replit has an API; you just need to be very careful how you use it or better yet steer clear of it entirely, as misuse of the Replit API (as determined by the moderators) is an easily banable offense.

Specifically, the Replit Tos section 4-16 prohibits users to:

Modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of the Service.

Since the Replit API is not public, nobody is really allowed to share it with you :slightly_frowning_face: . Sorry to disappoint.

7 Likes

Which includes using the Network tab, right?

2 Likes

@element1010 you really really need to stop telling people about that for your own good…

6 Likes

What? The public schema, or the fact that you can find it in Network tab?

1 Like

public schema? there is none. Anyways, I meant network logs but if you were talking about “public” schema then don’t do that either

1 Like

I’m quite sure almost everyone knows about that.

As not-ethan said, it’s best you contact mods at contact.moderation.repl.co and explain your use case. Depending on what you’re using it for, they may or may not permit your usage of it.

2 Likes

I have no official word on this, but my interpretation would be that you cannot use the network tab either. Really guys, we all want to tell everything we know about GQL, but we’re not supposed to be saying anything about it. We’re not allowed to help :slightly_frowning_face:. This topic has probably already said too much.

4 Likes