Disable ghostwriter for your "team"

Is there a way to disable ghostwriter all together for a whole “team”? I would like to remove the ghostwriter option all together so my students do not have the option to even try the ghostwriter.

Thank you

1 Like

Hey, @AndrewHordichok welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, this is not possible to my knolage.

Ghostwriter is a paid product and is available only if it is purchased with cycles. There is a 14-day free trial, but access to the free trial is not something you can control for other users.

Yes I realize that, but I do not want my students to have access to it at all. As an administrator of the TEAM, I should be able to disable that option from members entirely. Is this possible? Students who are learning how to code should not have access to AI for potential cheating. Even the 14day trial shouldn’t be available to students.

Thanks

Andy

4 Likes

Unfortunately this is not possible and the engineering team does not have the time or capacity to do this anytime soon.

Ok, thank you so much for your speedy reply. I understand and would appreciate that this be put on a “wish list” somewhere for future updates perhaps.

Have a good holiday season.

Andy

4 Likes

Try putting this in #feature-requests!

1 Like

Just being honest here but now with chatGPT as an AI, this will make it so that students can cheat easily.
Just watch/ playback the history of their repls. You can tell if they copy and pasted code.

11 Likes

Just wanted to jump in and add that we really would like to see the ability to disable this feature for our team. We exclusively use this platform for paired programming during interviews, and obviously it is not ideal for interview candidates to have access to an ai assistant.

5 Likes

Yep, same here. I use replit for admission exams for a bootcamp I run and having the ghostwriter AI option basically enables candidates to basically just ask the AI to pass the exam

5 Likes

Uhhh, students don’t have to copy and paste to cheat. They just need to type the code that they see.

1 Like

Yeah, there are multiple reasons to not use Repl.it for assessments next year. Bummer.

1 Like

Another one here who finds it very disappointing that ghostwriter automatically opens in a pane in a Teams assignment. :-1:

4 Likes

I also use teams as a teacher and use Replit both during teaching and during exams. I too would appreciate the option to disable ghostwriter for a team and at least that it is not included in a tab directly when my students open a lesson or an exam.

3 Likes

Thanks all for your feedback. I’ll pass this to the engineers to see if this is in their roadmap!

6 Likes

Also want to throw in here, I think having Ghostwriter automatically pop up is a real issue for edu teams. As we come round to assessment season, I’m having to rethink using replit now for their class tests, as students have 25 free Ghostwriter queries each. This allows them to simply ask it to put together a solution for them when it should otherwise be a closed book exam.

It’s relatively easy to keep an eye on students screens and see if they tab over to another program or browser tab, but being built in to replit and opened automatically right in front of them every time they open an exercise isn’t good…

We really do need a simple flick switch (and probably disabled by default for edu teams).

4 Likes

Is there any update on this? Is there anything in Ghostwriter automated code that would make it easy to see that it was generated? School will be starting backup soon and I’d love to be able to identify or block the automated code.

2 Likes

Hi @PESHHorton thanks for your message.

I’ve been told that allowing ghostwriter to be disabled isn’t on the roadmap at present, but that as this is a feature request it may be something which is introduced in future. If you feel this would be useful please continue to vote for this.

Replit has been constructed to make coding easier, to allow multiple users to edit the same code environment and, with Teams for Edu, to deliver a curriculum of projects in sequence to help learning but there has been no specific functionality created to help administer assessments.

(With my teacher hat on) I use Replit to administer my open book coding assessments under close supervision, using private Repls that I temporarily share with each of my students so they have no way of accessing it outside of the classroom. I’m happy to go into more detail regarding this if you would find it useful.

As @linseman mentioned earlier in the thread, the Replit history option could help you moderate users which you suspect of using help of any sort during an assessment. If the history shows a sudden appearance of a block of code in a situation where you were expecting all students to type out the code from scratch this would be reason enough to have a conversation with them about authenticity. I use this feature a lot in my conversations with students about their progress and regularly call out students who aren’t making the best choices when completing tasks.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Hi all,

As of today, ghostwriter is free and automatically enabled. The teacher cannot tell if students are using it because students don’t even need to copy and paste code in. Browsing the replit history is useless . Replit is no longer viable for education, and I feel forced to find another platform for students.

I am sorry to see this, as it has been an invaluable tool in my instruction.

6 Likes

(english is not my first language) Ghostwriter is giving my students my solution to the exercise. As it correctly identify that 100% of the time the student need the code written in the solution. It sad but replit clearly cannot be used in the classroom anymore.

6 Likes