Debug Console while using Debugger?

First time replit user. I’m trying to use the debugger in python. I have no problem setting a breakpoint and hitting it, stepping, seeing current variable values, etc. But when I’m at a breakpoint, how can I bring up a console window that lets me interact with variables? The regular console doesn’t seem to find any of the variables.

What I’m looking for would be similar to the “Debug console” in VS Code. Or the Immediate window for C# in Visual Studio.

I am able to install and use ipdb to set a breakpoint, launching from the shell and that works fine. But I’d really like to be able to use the build in debugger and also have a console that works there.

3 Likes

I may be wrong, but I don’t think Replit has this feature.

1 Like

This seems a little hard to believe. This post from 6+ years ago: https://blog.replit.com/python-debugger lists “Evaluate expressions in context” as number 3 on the roadmap.

Fyi, the debugger has been completely rewritten since that post

As good as replit is in many ways, it’s real hard for me to get behind using replit over say VSCode + AWS without these extremely basic features.

Same here, without a debug console, I don’t see me switching to replit anytime soon