Day 50 - Idea Storage - My Code is not working

import random, os, time
while True:
  print('šŸŒŸIdea StoragešŸŒŸ\n')
  print('Operations to be performed:\n1. Add an idea\n2. Load a random idea\n')
  op = input('Choice > ')
  if op == '1':
    f = open('my.ideas', 'a+')
    idea = input('Input an idea > ')
    f.write(f'{idea}\n')
    time.sleep(1)
    print('Your idea has been stored')
    f.close()
    time.sleep(1)
    os.system('clear')
    continue
  else:
    f = open('my.ideas', 'a+')
    r = f.read()
    print(f)
    re = f.read().split('\n')
    f.close()
    print(random.choice(re))
    time.sleep(3)
    continue

Welcome to the community! :smile:

A Repl link is often better than just pasting your code, but pointing out specific problem code is always good. I believe this Repl is the Repl in question, and the code has changed a bit since you posted this question (just half an hour ago), which is a good example of why you might want to at least include the link to the cover page of your Repl.

Itā€™s also a good idea to be clear and provide as much detail as possible about the issue youā€™re having, ā€˜my code is not workingā€™ could mean a lot of thingsā€¦ Is there an error (in this case running doesnā€™t result in one)? Is the code silently failing? Is the code not giving the output you expect?

From what I can see, in your else statement you want to load and print a random value from your my.ideas file (presumably a list separated by newlines). What you are doing with this code: open('my.ideas', 'a+') is opening the file in append and read mode, you probably just want read mode: open('my.ideas', 'r'), but this shouldnā€™t cause any issuesā€¦ (also Iā€™ve noticed you made this change in your Repl).

When running your Repl, everything seems work fine, did you resolve this issue yourself?

Thank you for responding so soon. Iā€™m sorry that I didnā€™t provide much information. The issue was that when I wanted to print a random idea from the file, it just printed blank lines. I changed the code, then it gave an ā€œUTF-8ā€ and ā€œunicode encodingā€ something like that. At the end I got frustrated and deleted all my code and studied the solution.
I shouldā€™ve provided the link of the repl. Sorryā€¦ I also shouldā€™ve provided more information on the issue. One again, thank you for your help.