Custom or preset syntax highlighting for any file

Describe your feature request

allow the ability to associate a file with the syntax highlighting of another language or to create your own (a lot of popular code editors have buttons on the bottom left or right that allow you to do exactly this so I’m surprised replit doesn’t even have that)

What problem(s) would this feature solve?

shader-specific files such as .frag, .vert, and .glsl to have some level of syntax highlighting | or custom-designed file types to also have such.

(I should make it clear that in another request associated with “custom syntax highlighting”, I’ve seen themes being mentioned, but unfortunately, as far as I can see, specific file highlight detection is not an option, nor is it a feature. BUT, at the same time I don’t want it to be. Not only is it way more intuitive to have an embedded tab [similar to the settings tab in the editor] that allows for control over words that get detected and how they get detected (which gives the ability for you to select that syntax mode in something like what I mentioned in the section above this one in any file you want), but it also only makes sense for this to be disconnected from themes since this feature should also comply with the currently selected theme, not decide new unrelated colors).

Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
programming c++ shaders with SDL & OpenGL.

3 Likes