Copying Solutions when copying Projects between Teams

Does anyone have a good way to copy Project Solutions between Teams?

Here’s what I’m doing now:

• create my projects within a “Canonical” team
  • create the solutions in the Canonical team project
  • copy the project to the actual class teams using “Copy Project”
  • For each project in each class team, click “Create Solution” and copy / paste a bunch of times from the Canonical solution.

This is pretty annoying! If there’s a workflow tip or a feature I’m missing, I’m all ears. If I’m doing the currently-optimal thing, maybe this is an opportunity for the feature to improve?

Thanks in advance!

I believe you can fork it from the Canonical team to your other team then make it a solution.

I don’t think that’s possible in Teams for Education - I’ve clicked around a bunch, but the normal forking feature is disabled for TFE Projects.

Maybe I’m missing something? If there’s an image or a loom video of that solution, I’d love to see it!

I dont think these will help but there are 2 older posts from Lena about project solutions.

Let me look at the docs.

1 Like

Here’s what I get when I try the normal replit forking: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

I found how to copy projects across teams not sure if it will work with solutions thought: Replit Docs - Copying projects to other teams

Right - when I use that feature, the project gets copied, but not the solution, which is why I have to go and click “Create Solution” for each of those projects…

Creating a separate solution project like in the ‘Create project solutions’ video would probably work, but then it doesn’t get to use all the fancy “Solutions” features that are more recent - give students access when they submit, etc.

It’s just kind of a bummer that the solutions feature is not really ready for prime-time yet - the UI around it still feels hacked on instead of built in.

1 Like

I may be missing something in the docs. Lena will probably get around and tell us if there is a way to do this.

1 Like

Ah, I see! I’ve let our engineers know as that is not the intended function. Thank you for reporting @robcobb!

To restate so that I’m sure I understand: by design, solutions ought to be copied when Projects are copied. They currently are not, and that’s a bug that engineering will (eventually) fix?

If so, :boom::boom::boom:

1 Like

That’s correct @robcobb! We’ve got an engineer on it!

Great!

Related to project copying - forking from a TFE project doesn’t work (little pink error box that says to check out pricing). This is probably an issue with TFE projects getting designated as ‘private repls’ in effect, since they have different kinds of permissions than normal repls. Still, seems very weird to have a non-working ‘fork’ button in the UI, when there’s a perfectly good “Copy Project” button back on the team home page, which is basically what I want in that spot in the UI anyways.

(should this be a new topic? still getting used to the Discourse)

UPDATE: This bug has been fixed! Thanks so much for reporting!

2 Likes

This sounds like a new topic!

Can you tell me more about what you’re trying to do by forking a Team Project?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.