Changes to Hosting on Replit!

What happens to Teams for Education teams like the various ones I own?

3 Likes

Could you elaborate on what you’re asking about? Team members should be able to access the workspace for neccessary Repls, and therefore be able to use the temporary replit.dev while they are inside the workspace.

5 Likes

Right, but we still get repl.co hosting. So how do deployments even work? We can’t exactly do that. (Or at least not normally). There’s no deploy button or anything.

2 Likes

What about when they are not? Are students no longer able to use Replit at school for non-static sites?

3 Likes

No, after these changes become live you won’t get repl.co hosting, it’s being deprecated, but while you are inside the Replit editor/workspace you will be able to use a temporary replit.dev domain.

Inside your Repl or using the new deployments tab (the deployments tab may be explorer only, I’m not sure), you can deploy a Repl one of three ways, static, resserved VM or autoscale. You will probably need to configure the default directory (which will usually just be /) and a run command. You can then deploy and your web app will be hosted at replit.app.

4 Likes

That’s what my problem is. I can’t deploy at all on Teams for Education. So therefore there’s no way to get [teamname].repl.co moved to [teamname].replit.app since there’s no option to deploy. That’s why I’m asking what’s going to happen on the Teams for Education side of users. Can’t deploy if there’s no UI option (unless I use the API).

6 Likes

Haven’t users been banned for using the API (making it not an option for most users)?

3 Likes

So, what? Replit is just not free anymore? Hosting on Replit was already frustrating enough with the slow speeds and the sleepy repls, and now you’re just pulling the plug entirely? Wow.

9 Likes

wait will this mean i will lose my mc bot when the changes come even though its not deployed I really don’t want to lose my 3 to 5 months of progress i done on it

9 Likes

Ran out of likes but yeah. So basically you have to risk getting banned to deploy on Teams for Education.

9 Likes

You will be able to host static Repls for free as long as your within your egress limit.

This is what deployments fixes, deployments will bring faster speeds and completely remove issues due to sleepy Repls.

3 Likes

Ahh, I understand now, I think for now it will not be possible, but this is definitely something that Replit will have to consider. (I’ve forwarded your post to the staff so hopefully there’ll be a conclusive answer :smile:)

6 Likes

why Teams for Education? why would you need to deploy that? Just say normal teams…?

and, I think eeveryone is forgetting that Console Repls still work fine

7 Likes

cc: @soren Will there be a deployments solution for teams?

5 Likes

What will happen to old repl.co domains? Will they still work or at least redirect?

2 Likes

They will not work, but they may redirect. That’s not been decided yet apparently.

2 Likes

Yeah, for a fee. Sure it’s only 20 cents, but doesn’t that seem just too good to be true?

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Why you should be able to deploy Teams for Edu projects

well, for realmz.io it would probably cost a fortune lol.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why you should be able to deploy Teams for Edu projects