Changes to Hosting on Replit!

@soren in my opinion there’s no point in making something “free” if you still need to connect a card to it. Wouldn’t it be better if you did not, but if you went over Egress limits it would kill your deployment until you connect a card or go back under?

11 Likes

When did we tell them we’d prefer them to remove free hosting?

6 Likes

I didn’t say you told them to remove free hosting? I just said we complained a lot and they changed it now we’re saying it was better before, which is all true, isn’t it?

6 Likes

I suppose, though I don’t believe anyone expected it to go this way.

2 Likes

sounds amazing

replit is going to like these

4 Likes

Sending requests to repls to keep them alive.

4 Likes

i 100% agree with this replit even said that we could use them for website hosting when glitch blocked pinging bots saying they will neaver do that and now they are doing that and moving replit to a pay olny thing it seems like

6 Likes

Replit.dev endpoints can always receive requests. They will only be alive when someone is in the Repl though. Historically, repl.co has been an abuse vector for us.

Deployment options at this point include:

• static: free up to 10 GiB of outbound data transfer per month
  • autoscale: will be < 20 cents/mo for most users
  • reserved VMs: $6.20 (in cycles) for the cheapest tier

If you have hacker or pro, your plan comes with an autoscale allotment (6 million compute units for pro and 3 million for hacker).

4 Likes

But what if I don’t have a credit card to do that, or am not allowed to? Then I still cant deploy.

7 Likes

If you dont have a card on your account you cant deploy.

4 Likes

@not-ethan yeah that’s what I am saying, I wont be able to deploy because 1.) I don’t have a credit card 2.) I don’t have money to do this either

11 Likes

What will happen to repl.co? Will it be used for something? Redirect to replit.dev? A deployment?

6 Likes

what are the constants used in this estimate?

4 Likes

I personally see this as problemistic, as this encourages 13 year olds (a large proportion of the user base) to take their moms credit card and put it in any text box which says “credit card number”, potentially incurring unexpected charges, and undermining the trust between the kid and their parents. This is also detrimental to people who don’t have the money or a credit card (credit cards are items that probably only 40% of replit is legally allowed to won) meaning that they can’t do anything and will be forced to move. Also, the reason why I am using kids as an example is that probably 50% of replit consists of kids, whether it’s people who were enticed from teams4edu or just as a good place to tinker with code. Heck, google even links to replit in their bard responses!

11 Likes

Default autoscale machine shape at monthly average cpu utilization across all Repls.

7 Likes

The reality here is that this is a massive upgrade for most Replit users.

Previously, we had a $7/mo plan that let you use always on (hacker). Always on and repl.co hosting were some of the most unreliable things about Replit so we decided to fix.

Now, you can pay almost nothing and get a bulletproof system for hosting critical applications. We could have gated deployments to plans, but we didn’t. We wanted there to be a cheap option for you all.

I do believe that the majority of (at least the Ask) community would prefer unreliable hosting that’s free to reliable paid hosting.

We are not in the business of building “unreliable but free” systems. That’s not Replit.

5 Likes

I think I got it so far, so this platform is targeted towards people with money or potential access to money, correct? That means that people like me would have to leave. It’s an upgrade for some, but I can’t imagine that happening based on my limited experience (e.g. I have not job or occupation). I am sad to see replit go, especially since I have many replit-specific projects.

6 Likes

We built Bounties so that people without money could work and earn. There are currently $60,000+ in open Bounties.

5 Likes

If I understand correctly though I could make a million dollars in bounties but if I didn’t connect a payment method I could only use Reserved VMs. So that does not completely solve the problem but it is a start.

9 Likes

If you earn a million dollars in bounties, connecting a payment method shouldn’t be a problem. : )

4 Likes