Changes to Hosting on Replit!

so persay a deployment gets ddosed and goes over the limmit will the user still be responsible for covreing the costs of that?

6 Likes

Guys, what do the new changes specified in this post mean for someone like me who is not willing to pay anything and has no cylces?

3 Likes

It means that unless you become willing to at least connect a credit card or get some cycles via bounties or tips you cannot host on Replit.

7 Likes

Autoscale Deployments come with DDoS protection by default.

5 Likes

After you put a card on file, static sites are free (up to 10 GiBs of outbound storage transfer) and autoscale will be < 20 cents for most use cases.

Pro & hacker come with an allotment for autoscale deployments.

6 Likes

$10 is the minimum right now. if there is interest, we could update it so you could have a $0 limit. (we’d just have to build it)

6 Likes

What about users who don’t have a card/don’t want to put a card on file? Are they just SoL?

7 Likes

You still will get a replit.dev link for workspace development.

But if you want premium hosting, you’ll have to use static, autoscale, or reserved VM deployments.

7 Likes

Which requires a card, which means users who cannot/will not put a card on file will have to find somewhere else to host, correct?

7 Likes

If you’d like us to use Deployments instead of Always On, please provide filesystem persistence. I don’t want to rewrite old projects to not store files locally and there are many valid reasons for persisting files between deployments.

This is the only reason I’m still using Always On for some things.

10 Likes

Understand. We’re working on it!

7 Likes

So will pingers stop working?

4 Likes

If you’re referring to monitoring the uptime of something, then yes, pingers will still work.

Repl.co (soon replit.dev) dev environments will only be visitable when someone is in the workspace.

8 Likes

ddos protection is great but not flawless it is always posible to get around it or overload it

4 Likes

i have a feeling that this will not be apreacated verry much by the discord bot devs and the io game developers here i feel like this will cause the loss of a lot of talented people

9 Likes

Thousands of developers have already switched to Reserved VMs for Discord bots specifically. Deployments are a much better product than always on.

6 Likes

Nevertheless change is hard and seeing repl.co go is very sad. It will completely and radically alter the structure of Replit and its community.

9 Likes

As I mentioned in the blogpost:

Deprecating things is hard. It’s hard for us, and we know it’s hard for you all as well. We want to wrap this up by saying that all of these changes are with your benefit in mind. We built Deployments to make hosting a better experience. If you are unhappy or think we missed something, please let us know. We’re happy to help however we can.

5 Likes

I would say, though I do not speak for the whole community, that I think we’d prefer to have unreliable website hosting, over forced paid (or at least card required) hosting.

15 Likes

I do believe that the majority of (at least the Ask) community would prefer unreliable hosting that’s free to reliable paid hosting.

12 Likes