Changes to Hosting on Replit!

We remain committed to providing a powerful free development experience to anyone who wants to code.

3 Likes

But what about a novice coder who wants to share his first website with some friends? (Sure this is technically still possible, but sharing the Repl or having the editor open 24/7 isn’t very convenient or powerful)

This change is going to kill free web development on Replit! Sure, I could see more users switching to deployments, but all of the users not interested in paying for deployments are basically going to quit using the platform, so obtaining revenue from them is no longer possible. While trying to get more users to switch to deployments, you’re losing an extremely large number of potential customers when they just quit using the platform.

And what about a beginner user who doesn’t even know why they would need to deploy in the first place? Unless this gets explained better, I could see a ton of users confused as to why their website is no longer up after closing the editor. The deployment menu is more targeted towards more experienced web developers, but this change is going to target every single person using Replit, so I’d maybe clarify some things for the beginners.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m crazy, but you’re able to deploy static sites for free? (Not repl.co hosting but actual deployment deployments?)

1 Like

@bobastley yes, but to my knowledge you have to hook up a credit card to your account, and if it goes above the limit it charges you.

4 Likes

@soren Even making it free but requiring a credit card still is an issue as most of your user base doesn’t have a credit card and can’t use their parents. Why can’t you just make it so that it’s free without a credit card and then if it goes above the limit it will disable the website until either:

1. The “compute units” or whatever renew
  2. The user pays.

Then you wouldn’t have so many people(including me) leaving.

4 Likes

Maybe they should tell you when it’s at the limit, before they start deducting? Then you can do something about it or get prepared (rather than seeing random transactions on your card)
Thoughts?

4 Likes

this isnt a upgrade this is getting rid of talented devs that have financal strians or kids

and not to mention most of those are bots lets be honest

4 Likes

We are planning to remove the cc requirement for static deployments soon. Stay tuned!

8 Likes

Not sure why you have this assumption. Everyone who creates a Bounty is required to front the money before being connected to a bounty hunter.

2 Likes

We built a spending limit feature for this reason exactly. Check it out on your account page.

4 Likes

I think they meant most bounties are for a bot to be made (or something along the likes of that).

7 Likes

okay most of the open bounties were due months ago with hundreds of applicants and none accepted they will neaver be done and are simply just there to make the bounty area look useful and everyone knows this

3 Likes

Okay, the notifications are getting on my nerves, so here’s the gist: Hosting on Replit is going to be paid. Static hosting will be free as long as you stay in the limit. I mean, React, Next, and Astro all have options of building static stuff, so most websites can still run. The database? Use Firebase or Replit’s PostgreSQL hosting. The API? Use a hosting provider like Vercel, Wasmer Edge, or others. Or, (what most would prefer) use Replit’s paid plan. It’s only like 20 cents a month. How bad can that be?!?

By the way, I’m not really involved in this, I use my html on a separate platform and I’m a systems programmer. Just stop arguing! If you have a question that is fine, but it is going to be okay as long as we adjust.

Edit: @Firepup650 fair point. Not everything can run off pure static, but with enough work you can get most stuff running.

3 Likes

Not everything can be made to run off pure static pages.

Infinitely more expensive for users who cannot/will not pay. And as for bounties, most of those are AI bounties, and are not within a newbie coder’s skill set.

5 Likes

Okay I’m sorry, I’m trying to calm the community down and didn’t think about a ton of stuff before posting

(my bad, ask mods)
4 Likes

may I remind everyone that Console and normal Output Repls still work fine for free
it’s just ghost forks

5 Likes

We’ve paid out hundreds of thousands of dollars to creators in the past few months alone.

There are some stale bounties, but I assure you that Bounties have meaningful activity.

4 Likes

I teach coding classes, and have about 150 new students per semester. 99% of my students are kids with no credit card. We have each student create their own Replit account on the first day of class. When a student finishes a project, we have them put it on our showcase, which also shares a link with their parents so that their parents can see what they’re doing in class.

Starting 2024, it sounds like this sharing of their projects won’t really work anymore, correct? The link won’t work for the parents (or other students who want to see their project on the showcase) once they close their project on Replit?

If so, what’s the best solution for this? As stated above, 99% of my students are kids without credit cards, so having to input a credit card number won’t work. Is there some sort of educational account solution? I as the teacher am willing to input a credit card to allow students to deploy their projects, provided that I’m not paying much (if anything) per month (I don’t make much money from teaching, it’s more of giving back to the community).

I think others have stated this, but I’d much rather have slow hosting (or have to wait a few seconds for Repl to “wake up”) that is completely free with no credit card required, than stable hosting that requires inputting a credit card. This was one of the biggest appeals of Replit.

15 Likes

The solution to that is for the student to invite their teachers/parents/etc. to the Repl. However, this means that anyone they invite must have a Replit account.

2 Likes

For static deployments, the credit card barrier will soon disappear

5 Likes