Can Students Restart an Assignment?

Today one of my students started an assignment and accidently deleted a bunch of the files associated with the task (they were .png files for a web design project). The version history only allowed him to go back and make changes within an individual file (ex. index.html), but he could not go back and retrieve the files that he deleted. I did not see a way for him to fork or restart the entire project from the beginning. Does this functionality exist?

I ended up saving all of the files to a zip and sending them to him through slack so that he could add them back to his original project, but it would be really helpful if a student could choose to ‘start over’ an assignment independently.

Here’s what’s worked for my class: If you show students how to use the repl history feature, they can undo all their changes by going back to a previous version. It’s the little clock-rewind button next to the repl’s name at the top of the screen.

It’s not quite as easy as a “Restart” button, but it’s actually more powerful - a persistent “undo” for the whole project.

1 Like

Incase you don’t know what that is this is what it looks like

You can also restart just by deleting and re-forking the project! You can find a video on that topic here

2 Likes

Thanks Rob, we tried that but it only let them undo changes within a specific file. The problem arose because there were several files deleted from the project and we were not able to restore those.

1 Like

Awesome, Thanks Lena! This is exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

No problem, glad I could help!