Can Ghostwriter see what's in the file system?

Last night Ghostwriter read the contents of a file to me from the Replit file system and told me my coding looks good.

Today it says it’s only an LLM and can’t read the file structure or file contents.

What is the official position on this, please?

Is it supposed to be able to read our files if we ask it to or not?

Can it create files itself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Likes

Howdy! Ghostwriter can in fact read the filesystem, but it cannot write files. Do you have a screenshot of Ghostwriter saying that it can’t read the filesystem? Also have you tried clearing the chat history to make the problem go away :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you mean it sees the filesystem and reads the files in it? I have not had it do that successfully yet.

1 Like

It also said in one chat it could read Shell as long as it could see the output in the terminal but now says it cant.

I will provide screenshots for both issues here in the near future as they occur. Thanks.

I have but sometimes I have to use tricks to get that to work. Its quite frustrating to be honest.

1 Like

please share your trick :laughing:

This is for Shell not the original issue, not seen anything I can screenshot for that part again.

Is this right though, please?
Or maybe it’s confusing that I could give it the output of Shell with it being able to look at Shell itself.

What is the official line on this, please?

Either way, I think it should be more clear. Respectfully.

To @RayAtReplit

Ok, this image is an example of the AI saying it can’t read the file system.

Maybe Im missing something but if there is some user error on my part I think that should be more obvious by the AI being more verbose in relation (suggestion from me).

Ghostwriter does have the ability to read files, but only files you’ve recently visited. To avoid passing too much context to Ghostwriter about your Repl, you must have recently edited a file in your current session for Ghostwriter to pick it up.

We’re working on improving Ghostwriter’s token/context limits and its functionalities.

1 Like